LHBS Flaked Oats vs Grocery Store Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My LHBS sold me another bag of grain with bugs in it. I think I've learned my lesson going to this place... At least it appears that only the oats are infested (bagged separately).

I don't have any other shops within a reasonable driving distance, so I'm considering using grocery store oats in my NEIPA recipe. It calls for 1.5lbs.

Thoughts?

Yep totally. You'll do just fine with rolled oats from the grocery store. They have had the hot press processing or whatever so that you can just add them to the mash, no need for a cereal mash.

And let the HBS know about the bugs. I'd be wanting a refund on that.

Rolled oats IS Rolled oats. I routinely use either Quaker or my local grocery store brand.
Oh, and useless trivia: Once upon a time I grew mealworms for a hedgehog I had at the time. Rolled oats was what we grew them in.

Yep totally. You'll do just fine with rolled oats from the grocery store. They have had the hot press processing or whatever so that you can just add them to the mash, no need for a cereal mash.

And let the HBS know about the bugs. I'd be wanting a refund on that.
This is the second time I’ve found bugs in my grain. At least this time they were dead. I’m not going to lose my mind over $3 worth of oats...and also this is the only shop in town, and I have to buy my yeast from them since shipping yeast in the summer is just not an option in Texas.

This is the second time I’ve found bugs in my grain. At least this time they were dead. I’m not going to lose my mind over $3 worth of oats...and also this is the only shop in town, and I have to buy my yeast from them since shipping yeast in the summer is just not an option in Texas.
Shipping from Austin Homebrew is overnight if you select the texas saver shipping (or whatever it's called) and live east of big bend, south of Lubbock. Throw a $1 ice pack in there and it's always still cool by the time I get it, about an hour south of Houston.

Were they saw tooth beetles?
goo.gl/Aiy18f

Common pantry pest. We had them last year, not sure where they came from, but they got into a small bag of grains, my Quaker oats, and some rice.

I always end up using roller oats from the store in my grist because it ends up being cheaper.

Were they saw tooth beetles?
goo.gl/Aiy18f

Common pantry pest. We had them last year, not sure where they came from, but they got into a small bag of grains, my Quaker oats, and some rice.

I always end up using roller oats from the store in my grist because it ends up being cheaper.
Hmmmm...that looks about right. They were dead though...this time.

Last time they were crawling all over the grain.

Back