Scottish Heavy Leann Laidir (Strong Scotch Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardman6518

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
unknown
Final Gravity
unknown
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
~27 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 Days @ 70F
Tasting Notes
Very malty with slight hints of chocolate
Ingredients:
4 oz Crystal 70 (70 SRM)
2 oz Chocolate Malt (350 SRM)
2# Light LME (2.3 SRM)
1 oz Roasted Barley (300 SRM)
.5 oz Willamette[5.50%]-(30 Min)

Brewed this up for Christmas this past year and turned out was better than I expected. I bottle aged it for about a month and the ABV I would guess is roughly 8.5-9.5%. This is a great one gallon batch which I will most likely expand into a five gallon in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
A one gallon recipe, Awesome! (I'm exclusively making 1Gal recipes until I find enough recipes to make my pipeline) I think that I am going to give this a shot! On the list it goes!

EDIT: recipe is printed, in the stack it goes. :)

Gonna try this in a 5 gallon batch. Did you age any of this further? Anything else to add?

No unfortunately but I imagine it would have turned out really good if I had. Also, I had considered maybe throwing some oak chips in to get that oak aged aspect but I think I had just forgot to add them.

OK, just boiled it, scaled to 5 gallons. I did a 30 minute partial mash with the steeping grains, followed by a 90 minute boil. Starting with 7 gal, I just barely made the 5 gal target. OG was 1.081. I increased the hops by 1/2 oz because I don't like leftovers and spaced them out (1 oz for 60, 1.5 oz for 30, 0.5 oz for 15). I ended up pitching two packets of the recommended yeast, on account of how much more sugar there is for them. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Just took a gravity reading 10.20 (8.01% ABV). I've had it in secondary for a couple weeks and am debating whether I should bottle this weekend or bulk age it for another month. I'll take another gravity reading on Saturday and see if it moved at all.

edit: Forgot to mention that I tasted the sample I took. Not too shabby.

Golson, How did it turn out? Thinking about making this for my next 5 gallon batch if it's worth it.

Golson, How did it turn out? Thinking about making this for my next 5 gallon batch if it's worth it.

I tried one a couple weeks ago and it was very under carb'd. There wasn't much body there, but that was to be expected since its an extract recipe. I'll probably try again this weekend.

I tried one a couple weeks ago and it was very under carb'd. There wasn't much body there, but that was to be expected since its an extract recipe. I'll probably try again this weekend.

Any more word on this beer? I'm looking for a good ale to make with my tiny 1 gallon set-up with my dad once he gets home from serving overseas later this month.

Been enjoying this beer quite a bit. Just take your time in letting it carb, since the relatively high ABV beats up the yeast and slows it down during bottle conditioning. I'll definitely be making this gain. This had far more body than any of my other beers made with extract and specialty grains. I'm switching over to AG soon, but I'll probably go back and make this again.

I brewed this one two weeks ago and was surprised when my OG was lower than anticipated at 1.050

I brewed 1 gallon of this that I plan to age in a small oak barrel, and another 5 to blend it with.

I think I'll brew the 5 gallon batch this weekend so I'll report back what this ones OG is (although I'm going to make an effort to bump it up more like 1.08)

EDIT:
Here is what went into it:
4oz British Crystal 70/80L
2oz Briess Chocolate
1oz CaraRed (in place of Amber)
1oz Roasted Barley
2lb Liquid light malt extract

Back