Leafhoppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
I am really proud of the progress I have made with my hops so far this year. I have finally made it to the top with 3 if the six plants that I have (first time in 5 years). But, I am currently in some what if a crisis.

*i have not done a soil test*

I noticed that one of my Newports started to yellow on the edges of the outside of leaves and then crisp. Did some research and thought, maybe I had a K deficiency. So I side dressed with a little potash around each pant, and a week later each plant started showing the same symptom. Frustrated at this point, I was hoping my hops would be able to work it out.

Another week passed by, I was talking with my wife about what I thought could be causing my hops to look sickly. I mentioned many different reasons, and she said that on her FB news feed that a nearby farmer was spraying his hay for Leaf hoppers. Ah Ha, I went outside, flipped over a leaf and sure as shiatzu, those little effers were everywhere!

So today I sprayed all of the plants with a Neem Oil concentrate, which I hope will slow them down enough for the lady bud to get after them.

Anyway, I am not sure that leafhoppers are my only issue, I may still have a mineral deficiency, but I just thought I might share my experience with you all.

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4178.jpg

You can see the leaf hoppers on the leaves...very bottom picture...zoom in on it...They are the tiny yellow spikes on the leaves...normally found on the underside.

Good picture for those not familiar with Leaf hoppers...

How did the neem oil work fore you? I just went all out on our infestation with pesticide...we had a farmer close to us mow his field down for hay and pretty much flushed his bugs into our field...needles to say...we don't have a bug problem currently...but they did some damage before we could treat for them.

How did the neem oil work fore you? I just went all out on our infestation with pesticide...we had a farmer close to us mow his field down for hay and pretty much flushed his bugs into our field...needles to say...we don't have a bug problem currently...but they did some damage before we could treat for them.

Not as good as a pesticide. But, I applied on Friday with thunderstorms rolling through after I sprayed. I will spray again on the fourth seeing as the oil probably washed away.

What pesticide did you use?

I was running into the same problem with leaves looking sick- I saw some leafhoppers and I sprayed with neem- it wiped them out but they ended up coming back several weeks later. I sprayed again and it wiped them out again. To me it seems like a solid choice for leafhoppers. My plants have recovered and have great color and are trying to top out around 18'.

Latest posts

Back