laundry tub help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
I'd like to install a laundry pump in our basement across from my brew room. Right now I have to go upstairs to the bathroom to use the tub to clean my gear. My issue is that the out for the plumping is 3' up from the basement floor. I was thinking of getting one of these..
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Anyone ever have any tips or hint. here's a few pictures of the room..

The out is behind the weasher on

imgp0720medium.jpg

Thinking of putting here, beside the hotter water tank.
imgp0722medium.jpg

or in the left hand corner.

imgp0721medium.jpg

Here's the outlet up 3ft up.

imgp0723medium.jpg

Ive been thinking about the same thing. all your copper pipes are exposed so you can just put a T in and run it to your sink.

I was thinking about putting a plug in the bottom of the sink, and using an aquarium pump(instead of a 200 dollar pump) to pump the water in the washer drain (i have the same situation with the sewer line being above the drain level) I have been using a rope bucket (keg bucket) and a short hose off my washer until i decide what to do (moving in a couple years, so i dont want to make more work)

yeah my pipes are all open thats why this seems like a nice east project. I was going to find a cheaper soloution them the pump but since this is a "laundry sink" the wife is all for it and says to get whatever I need.. She'll use it to, We just had a baby and are going to use cloth diapers so this will be a great place to rise them out.

Thing about the pump is I'm not sure if I have to go all the way up to the ceiling or if I can run it along the wall.. I think the pump is good for up to 17' of vertical push.

I plan on putting the same type of system in my basement. If you plan on washing diapers I would suggest one that can handle solids...........

That's a lot of money for a sink pump. If you are just cleaning carboys, etc. then I suggest what I did in my garage...

I had the builder install a washer hookup, much like you have in your basement.

I installed a slop sink and connected the faucet to the hot/cold...you could do this with cheap "y" splitters between your hot/cold and the washer lines (washer lines to one split and sink lines to the other).

I put a trash can under the drain and installed a $60 sump pump with an automatic ball float in the trash can.

The pump is piped to the washer drain with flex hose...you could accomplish this by either switching out the washer hose when you brew (PITA and the wife will not like pumping wash water onto the floor), or put a PVC "y" on the 2" drain to allow for both the washer and the sink drains.

I bet I bought my plastic slop sink, faucet, SS braid water connects, bucket, pump, and drain hose for less than the cost of the pump you show.

I've had no issue with the sump pump pushing limited small solids but because it is not sealed and the bucket does not drain 100% all the time...there is a bit of maintenance (you'll have to clean the bucket out on occassion and/or periodically dump in some bleach to ward off stagnant water odor).

Not ideal, but it works for me washing my hands, boots, veggies from the garden, etc. - it is also relatively inexpensive and can be removed easily.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

The slick way to do it is to put a basin down into a hole in the floor under where the sink is going. A sewage pump with a float goes in there. Once it's below the slab, you can also put a floor drain in that will take care of any spilled water, including water heater failure.

Latest posts

Back