Laminar Flow Hood for yeast lab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but seemed logical due to the science nature of this forum that the possibility of getting better response would be probable.
Would a Laminar Flow Hood be a good product to use in yeast prep and propagation? According to documentation it "provides a HEPA filtered
clean work area that is ideal for operations requiring a particle-free, bacteria-free, clean air environment and features true laminar airflow, a large 99.99% HEPA filter, disposable MERV-8 pleated pre-filters, and Zero Leak Airflow System."
Anyone have any input? I would like to think I could use this and start working on building a yeast bank/library.

This is what I'm looking at.
http://www.nuaire.com/pdf/spec-sheet-brochure/201.pdf

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but seemed logical due to the science nature of this forum that the possibility of getting better response would be probable.
Would a Laminar Flow Hood be a good product to use in yeast prep and propagation? According to documentation it "provides a HEPA filtered
clean work area that is ideal for operations requiring a particle-free, bacteria-free, clean air environment and features true laminar airflow, a large 99.99% HEPA filter, disposable MERV-8 pleated pre-filters, and Zero Leak Airflow System."
Anyone have any input? I would like to think I could use this and start working on building a yeast bank/library.

This is what I'm looking at.
http://www.nuaire.com/pdf/spec-sheet-brochure/201.pdf

First let me say the need for a Laminar Flow Hood is apparently debatable. Then I will give a positive view and refer you to a thread where it was debated.

About 6 years ago I began isolating yeast from some of my favorite Belgian style beers with great success and no hood. I still have the first yeast strain I isolated. About a year ago I came across a great deal on a hood and bought it. I have truly enjoyed the ability to work in a sterile environment because it relieves much of the worry of contamination and allows you to perform some activities that would be very challenging without a one. That said, you can successfully perform most yeast prep and propagation techniques without the use of a hood.

Here is a link where you can view both side of the issue:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/building-home-qc-lab-questions-493128/

BTW I paid $200 for a used hood and spent about $50 fixing it up.

First let me say the need for a Laminar Flow Hood is apparently debatable. Then I will give a positive view and refer you to a thread where it was debated.

About 6 years ago I began isolating yeast from some of my favorite Belgian style beers with great success and no hood. I still have the first yeast strain I isolated. About a year ago I came across a great deal on a hood and bought it. I have truly enjoyed the ability to work in a sterile environment because it relieves much of the worry of contamination and allows you to perform some activities that would be very challenging without a one. That said, you can successfully perform most yeast prep and propagation techniques without the use of a hood.

Here is a link where you can view both side of the issue:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/building-home-qc-lab-questions-493128/

BTW I paid $200 for a used hood and spent about $50 fixing it up.

WOW! I just read through most of that entire thread. Most of which is way over my head. My plan is to freeze small portions of yeast from the first generation. When I grow up a new starter I will freeze a portion of that so that I can always maintain first generation yeast.
I actually acquired the hood at no cost and it functions perfectly. I was mainly wanting to verify that it would or would not provide a good area to work with yeast collection. It sounds like it will work just fine and should create a better environment to work in. Thanks for the response and the information.
I don't know that I would ever get into it on the level of the link you provided, but then again I never thought I would get into brewing at the level I am currently in either.
Thanks again.

You are welcome. If you are not familiar with operating a hood, here's a couple of suggestions to help ensure a sterile environment. Before you began work, wipe down the work surface with 70 percent alcohol (isopropyl works fine) and turn on the hood ~20 minutes before you begin work. Enjoy your adventure into yeast microbiology.

Thanks once again. I'm really looking forward to the technical side of harvesting and freezing yeast. I anticipate a monetary savings as well but that is secondary to being able to create and re-create more and more experimentation.
This hobby/obsession is unreal. ART/Engineering/Science/Cooking, I love it all.

Back