Kolsch recipe sanity check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So the other day SWMBO expressed an interest in brewing a beer, which is awesome :rockin:. I'm thinking of throwing together a Kolsch "recipe kit" for her, since she loves the style and

Anyway, I've cobbled this together:

6 lb Pilsen light DME
1 lb Carapils (steeped)
1 oz Vanguard @ 30
1 oz Hersbrucher @ 15
1 tube WLP032 German Ale/Kolsch yeast

She's a big fan of Lancaster kolsch, which uses Hersbrucher, Vanguard, and Tettnang. I'm not sure which goes where (or where to work in that last one, 1 oz @60?), so I have no idea how this'll work out.

Thoughts?

Traditional Kolsches don't use super late hops and are pretty light on the hops.

I'd have a bittering charge @ 60 min and then maybe a light aroma / flavor charge @ 20 minutes.
I've got access to a Kolsch recipe that has collected TONS of awards here in the Pacific NW over the years and it's got roughly 20 IBUs with 1 oz of 4.8% AA Tetnang pellet @ 60 min, .25 oz of 13% AA Nugget @ 60 min and 1 oz of 4.8% AA Tetnang @ 20 minutes.

That's it.

Late kettle additions could be tasty and obviously you're free to go there but I'd watch total IBUs as you want that nice "softness" that comes with a Kolsch; I'd hate for loads of IBUs to diminish that great Kolsch quality.

Also be aware that these kolsch strains are ULTRA LOW flocculators. If you get sick of waiting for it to drop and you keg your beer, just buy about 4 lbs of dry ice and put it in a towel and wrap it around the keg to get a rapid temp crash -rapid temp crash will convince that Kolsch yeast to flocculate in a hurry.

Adam

Also given that you're brewing with extract you might want to save half of that extract for the last 15 minutes of the boil to prevent overdarkening the wort, but note that that will increase your hop utilization so you should plan for it.

Adam

Are you doing a starter? I've only done a few lagers, but I know you usually want to up the cell count due to the cold fermentation temps.

Also, what temperatures were you planning for the fermentation? You may be able to get away with something as warm as 60 and still have the Kolsch crispness since its a "hybrid" strain.

Traditional Kolsches don't use super late hops and are pretty light on the hops.

I'd have a bittering charge @ 60 min and then maybe a light aroma / flavor charge @ 20 minutes.

Thanks, that's perfect. Figured I might've had the timing all backwards. Is something like

1 oz Hersbrucher @60
.5 oz Vanguard @60
.5 oz Vanguard @15

more akin to the style?

m00ps said:
Are you doing a starter?
Also, what temperatures were you planning for the fermentation?

Probably doing a starter, and probably fermenting in the mid-50s or so (swamp cooler in the crawlspace in winter). Haven't quite gotten that far in the thinking-it-through yet. Don't have the means to do a proper lagering.

Thanks, that's perfect. Figured I might've had the timing all backwards. Is something like

1 oz Hersbrucher @60
.5 oz Vanguard @60
.5 oz Vanguard @15

more akin to the style?

Probably doing a starter, and probably fermenting in the mid-50s or so (swamp cooler in the crawlspace in winter). Haven't quite gotten that far in the thinking-it-through yet. Don't have the means to do a proper lagering.

I'm a stickler for tradition in my German beers so ignore me if you want. Although Vanuard has a partial German pedigree and German-like flavors, Hersbrucker is the real deal German hop, so personally I'd leave Hersbrucker for the 20 min / 15 min addition to get the flavor contribution of TRUE german hops.

It's your beer, though so make it how you want.

Adam

I've seen a small addition of wheat in them. It may just be for head retention though. BYO magazine has a great article on it that you can search for. I made a Kolsch when I was doing extract with grains and it turned out much darker. Adding some of the LME late will help with that. Remember the style does not really have much if any hop aroma. You need to be able to lager for 3 to 4 months if you use Kolsch yeast. A German ale yeast should be more forgiving.

Robertus, that new hop schedule looks more on the mark.

Kolsch is one of my favorites to have on tap, it's refreshing, subtly complex like a good pilz and the BMC crowd (I still have a few non-converts around) love it too.

Make sure you Ferment at 60F for 2 weeks, the yeast need cool but not cold to make the lovely yet restrained fruitiness that Kolsch has to have.

I personally like the spicy floral nature of Perle hops as a single bittering and flavor hop in my Kolsch, it goes well with the yeast's natural slightly fruity hints it throws in. To each his own!

And ya, like they said, that yeast hates to drop out, so you have to be patient. If you drink it too soon it tastes very green and tart. Once it drops clear you're good to go. I've used Gelatin in the keg with pretty good success to speed it up, but it still took a month or so to really clear.

latest

SWMBO just fired up the stove to get this one going. I'm working from home and the kid's in school for a change, so the timing shakes out.

biertourist is right on about recipe formulation. i disagree about fermenting a kolsch ultra-cold (sub 60F). i think the mid 60s are needed for that characteristic vinous/fruity character that the good kolsch yeasts will give you.

Latest posts

Back