Kegged brew not staying fresh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djsereno91

Reaction score
I recently brewed a pale ale (this one actually, ~5% ABV), which I then kegged and force carbed. At first, it tasted pretty good (I've made better but I was satisfied with it nonetheless). That was about 5 months ago (I'm surprised I still have as much left as I do but I've been drinking a lot of other beers lately). I poured some for the first time in a while and it just does not taste that good anymore. I know the hop flavor should be less pronounced, but the beer just tastes off in general. Also, I realize that 5 months is a while but I've read/would expect it to last up to a year, so long as it was in a properly sanitized keg.

My setup is as follows. My fridge is set around 44 degrees. When kegging, I fill up the keg with some sarsan solution, making sure the whole thing is nice and clean/sanitized. I then push the starsan out of the keg with the CO2 (sanitizing the lines in the process). I then fill the keg through the out tube and burp the keg to release the CO2. This way, the keg is completely sanitized and purged of any oxygen.

There was a short period of time where I unplugged the kegerator, and forgot to re-plug back in, so it got warm (room temp, 65-70 degrees F) for about a week. Is this enough to kill the beer? I wouldn't think so, considering bottled beer from the store gets warmed and cooled throughout its lifespan.

I'm still honing in on this kegging process. For some reason, it has not been a smooth one for me (initially serving lines were too short, then I found out that my system had a leak, now this). Can anyone give some insight into the problem and how long a beer should last when kegged? Maybe I just need to be drinking more!:mug: Any help is greatly appreciated!

There was a short period of time where I unplugged the kegerator, and forgot to re-plug back in, so it got warm (room temp, 65-70 degrees F) for about a week. Is this enough to kill the beer? I wouldn't think so, considering bottled beer from the store gets warmed and cooled throughout its lifespan.

Temperature swings are always bad for beer. As you said, 5 months is quite a long time to keep a beer tapped. I only keep them for about 2 month max.

Different beers will age differently. IPAs will lose their hoppiness quickly, but still a few months. Your pale ale is probably on the downhill side. Stouts and big beers can last for years.

You might check out keg spunding to maximize your shelf life (including hop flavor and aroma). However, I assume 5 months is a bit long for a home brew keg. It really wouldn't add much more work than what you are already doing. The end result is a naturally carbed keg and a better chance at long-term flavor stability.

Found this thread as I was curious how long my keg would stay fresh. My keg is 2 1/2 gallons and my last batch of pale ale only amounted to 2 gallons. I tapped it about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I've only had 3 pints so far and had decided I'd save the rest until our father's day picnic. So from what I've read above, this should not be an issue regarding the freshness - correct? Anything specific I should do if I know I won't pour any for another 1 1/2 weeks?

Latest posts

Back