Just tested my new Hotrod Heatstick w/gas assist on stovetop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
This is a preliminary assessment, not an actual review as I have *not* yet brewed with it. So I tested my newly arrived Hotrod Heatstick with water after a leak check. Since I previously tested my Robobrew ramp time, to check how long it would estimated'ly take to raise temp another mash temp rest, I figured I'd do the same. I took 5 gallons from the coldest sink temp up to boiling. With the Robobrew the rise was 2 degrees per minute. With the 1650w Hotrod Heatstick and stove top gas at full the rise was 4.6 degrees a minute. When it got to boiling it was so aggressive I had to turn down the gas a good amount.

Gonna be a couple of weeks before I brew with it but I have to say I am soooo psyched! Kudos to Bobby and his company BrewHardware! This seems to be the solution I've been looking for indoor brewing. I'm in an apartment so my landlord won't let me install a 240v circuit and all that so I'm confined to 120v and this really seems to be the answer for me. That and being on stove top means the range hood can suck out most of the steam and not leave the house smelling like a brewery (which is fine by me but the girlfriend hates)

Rev.

I'm planning on buying one of these in the near future for speeding up my brew days with the robobrew, thanks for the brief review.

Gonna be a couple of weeks before I brew with it but I have to say I am soooo psyched! Kudos to Bobby and his company BrewHardware! This seems to be the solution I've been looking for indoor brewing. I'm in an apartment so my landlord won't let me install a 240v circuit and all that so I'm confined to 120v and this really seems to be the answer for me. That and being on stove top means the range hood can suck out most of the steam and not leave the house smelling like a brewery (which is fine by me but the girlfriend hates).

Sounds like you need to replace the girlfriend! :p

Seriously, though, Bobby also sells this, which was developed as a result of this thread. Reports by people who are using it say it solves the steam and smell issues, so you might be able to keep the girlfriend after all!

I agree with you on the compliments for Brewhardware.com and Bobby!

Bobby also sells this, which was developed as a result of this thread. Reports by people who are using it say it solves the steam and smell issues

I'm good with the range hood sucking out the steam with the kettle on stovetop. Problem was the Robobrew sits on the floor so the rangehood doesn't really suck out the steam.

so you might be able to keep the girlfriend after all!

After what she did this morning I might not want to keep her! :mad: She cooked some food for work and opened our windows to air out the house and left to work forgetting to close them. I'm only on the second floor so anyone with a ladder could climb in and rob me and she refused to leave work to go home and close the windows. Had to send my mother over. Thankfully it's all taken care of now. I'm also a musician so I have some *VERY* expensive gear worth waaaay more than my brewing gear.

Rev.

Btw, here's a pic of the extra long version of the heatstick which has been in stock while the regular is out. Just showing how it keeps a nice distance away from the burner.

Rev.

Attachments

• 20181119_221546.jpg
    20181119_221546.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Back