Just ran across this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red over White

Reaction score
I wrote a hand written letter to Jim Koch in 1993 for help cloning his cream stout. A couple weeks later he sent a box with a t-shirt, 6 pint glasses and this information sheet with all the brews they made at the time. He also said that he would personally give me a brewery tour if I ever was in the area, such a class act. Anyway, the information sheet on the brews from back then gives everything but percentages of the grist, which isn't to hard to figure out. I got a kick out of finding this again, maybe some of y'all will to. Cheers

20230316_110500.jpg
20230316_110513.jpg

The Cream Stout was a favorite for me too when I first started buying their beer long a ago. As well as the Boston Lager.

I've been wanting to try their Chocolate Bock but can't find it anywhere.
I can find their repulsive Cherry Wheat though :rolleyes:
I had one of those from a mixed 12 pack 20 or more years ago. One and done for me...

Cheers!

I had one of those from a mixed 12 pack 20 or more years ago. One and done for me...

Cheers!

Same here. I hated the cherry wheat. Their Oktoberfest however, very good!

Cheers!

I still have a couple chocolate bocks in the refrigerator and just cracked one for ya. The nibs dominate the aroma, if I hunt for it I almost think I detect that distinct munich malt character. It drinks a lot like the aroma, but it starts fat and finishes thin. A bit deceiving for a low IBU 5.8% beer. I definitely couldn't write a recipe for this one from just drinking it, with the overwhelming chocolate notes coming at me from every direction.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed this blast from the past. I just tapped my Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout today, but I think Lightship is going to replace my next brew on deck. I have everything but klages lol Back then I was getting klages for $27 a sack, those were the days.

Thanks for sharing. I was just thinking of making a Boston Lagerish type of beer this spring.

They are a big fan of Harrington malt. I’ll have to do a bit of research on it.

Back then Harrington was easy to get, I am not sure if it is even grown today. I'll bet some current varieties are descendants of Harrington.

Back