Juniper Infusion or juniper in boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
My business takes me out in the hills frequently, and on a recent trip back into Montana's Cayuse Hills, I noticed my favorite Juniper tree was just loaded with rich dark purple berries ready to pick. I didn't have a container with me, so the had to stay. Not everybody has a "favorite Juniper tree"....... but I've admired this one for many years for it's unique and beautiful shape and color that makes it stand out among Junipers.

I had not thought of using Juniper in beer until recently, and it appears that the jury is out on how much to use, and how to use it. Fresh, or dried, crushed or whole, and ounce or a couple of berries, added to the boil, or as a vodka infusion. Adding it to the boil seems to be the preferred method, but the difference in intensity must depend heavily on the berries, and weather they are dried or fresh, crushed or whole.

My intent at this point is to add about 1 gram of fresh crushed berries in a 2.5 gallon brew at about 5 min before flameout. I'm hoping this won't be excessive.

I've read a few posts about using juniper in beers, and the opinions and experiences seem to vary wildly enough that it's difficult to decide how to proceed. Every situation and result seems to differ, which suggests that the specific ingredients and treatment make a big difference.

I would be interested in real world experience with fresh crushed berries. I'm assuming my one gram will be conservative enough.

H.W.

Came here looking for answers to the sane query.

What did you do in the end and gow did they come through Owly?

Back