iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I ended up changing the formula and putting the Ispindel in the fermenter. I now see that there has been no activity for 2 hours. So the reception must be difficult inside the SS fermenter and inside the wine fridge. I tested it last night in the same location but I guess it is different full of wort. Any way to boost the signal without being able to touch the unit? I can't move my router.

Have any of you guys connected your iSpindel to BrewersFriend? I use BrewSpy now which works great, any advantages with BrewersFriend?

Thanks. I ended up changing the formula and putting the Ispindel in the fermenter. I now see that there has been no activity for 2 hours. So the reception must be difficult inside the SS fermenter and inside the wine fridge. I tested it last night in the same location but I guess it is different full of wort. Any way to boost the signal without being able to touch the unit? I can't move my router.
Yes but you'd need a WiFi booster plug or make a relay as per Martin ger using a D1 mini.

I have tried Brewers friend and Brewfather. I cannot get either to work. I have tried looking at the formula's and did the needed changes as described on the Youtube channel I found. I keep getting the same thing, a reading of 1.004. It is frustrating as hell and I am ready to just throw the darn thing out. I have had my wife look at it, since she is much better with technology stuff, and she cannot get it to work either. It is now collecting dust in the bottom of my box of stuff I use during my brew day. I am sure, for those who can get it to work, it is awesome. But, for me, I just cannot get it going.

I have tried Brewers friend and Brewfather. I cannot get either to work. I have tried looking at the formula's and did the needed changes as described on the Youtube channel I found. I keep getting the same thing, a reading of 1.004. It is frustrating as hell and I am ready to just throw the darn thing out. I have had my wife look at it, since she is much better with technology stuff, and she cannot get it to work either. It is now collecting dust in the bottom of my box of stuff I use during my brew day. I am sure, for those who can get it to work, it is awesome. But, for me, I just cannot get it going.

I had the same problem. I spent a year troubleshooting, and each time, it appeared promising but failed me on brew day (on brew father). BrewFather would recognize the iSpindle but not take readings when I brewed. I eventually decided to cut my losses and get a Tilt, which, for me, was a pleasant plug-and-play experience. I still have the spindle and harbor unrealistic dreams that I'll one day figure it out and have two brews in fermenters at the same time. The smart move would be to donate the iSpindle here, let someone else figure it out and not let it collect any more dust.

I had the same problem. I spent a year troubleshooting, and each time, it appeared promising but failed me on brew day (on brew father). BrewFather would recognize the iSpindle but not take readings when I brewed. I eventually decided to cut my losses and get a Tilt, which, for me, was a pleasant plug-and-play experience. I still have the spindle and harbor unrealistic dreams that I'll one day figure it out and have two brews in fermenters at the same time. The smart move would be to donate the iSpindle here, let someone else figure it out and not let it collect any more dust.
I have both the Ispindle and a Plaato airlock and I cannot seem to get either to work. So, in my mind, it is user error. I am going to keep messing with it though. Thanks for the input, I have thought of putting it for sale for what I bought it for, but still think I can do it. LOL

You guys followed all steps to get it to connect to your home network and were able to get it to calibrate? I first used the Rapt Pill, which died on me, and switched to the iSpindel and it has worked flawlessly since. Did you try brewspy or any other apps?

You guys followed all steps to get it to connect to your home network and were able to get it to calibrate? I first used the Rapt Pill, which died on me, and switched to the iSpindel and it has worked flawlessly since. Did you try brewspy or any other apps?
I have tried BrewSpy and Brewfather. It seems to connect, but the reading never comes off 1.004. The temp goes up and down so I think it is working. Who knows, I am not a very technical person

If you keep getting 1.004 in BF then this is because your iSpindel is reporting SG, but Brewfather expects °Plato by default. You have to add 'SG' in the name of the device in the iSpindel config, e.g. 'iSpindel_SG'. Then BF knows the device reports SG.

Hi. If you're getting only 1.004 in Brewfather, the your iSpindel is calibrated to report SG, while Bf expects °Plato. You just need to add 'SG' to the name of the deviceein the iSpindel config so BF knows thät the device reports SG e.g. 'iSpindel_SG'

Hello,

I am looking for some help with setting up my Ispindel for its first use tomorrow. I have done all of the calibrations as shown on "Open Source Distilling". I ran the sugar water calibration from 1.080 to 1.010 and have a polynomial formula. The web software for logging data I will be using is Ubidots Stem. I added a new synthetic variable with the formula + Tilt.

I am confused about adding the same formula to the actual Ispindel configuration page. There is a formula already there but it has spaces?

Do I replace this formula with my new formula?

Here are the two formulas:

Original formula already in the text box 0.8846314422115845 + 0.006835318893387815 *tilt-0.00011168866813314932 *tilt*tilt + 7.789914994253684e-7 *tilt*tilt*tilt

My new calibrated formula -24.956278793534832+1.5129534951161707*tilt-0.024338771355036714*tilt*tilt+0.00016651996040404843*tilt*tilt*tilt

Thank you for your speedy help as I need to use this tomorrow. (should have done this sooner!!)
One thing you should do is use tilt^3 instead of tilt*tilt*tilt because you only have a limited number of characters for the formula.

For ubidots, you add one widget that just reports the value from the iSpindel as is (either SG or °Plato, whichever the iSpindel is reporting). For the other, use a 'synthetic varible' and enter an appropriate formula, either

°P = 260.4 - 260.5/SG (if the i&pindel reports SG) or

SG = 260.4/(260.4 - °Plato)
If the iSpindel reports °P.

Last edited:
Hi. If you're getting only 1.004 in Brewfather, the your iSpindel is calibrated to report SG, while Bf expects °Plato. You just need to add 'SG' to the name of the deviceein the iSpindel config so BF knows thät the device reports SG e.g. 'iSpindel_SG'
thanks. Not the issue with mine.

thanks. Not the issue with mine.
Are you sure. That's the diagnosis in the BF docs:

IMG_0505.png

Are you sure. That's the diagnosis in the BF docs:

View attachment 842642
100% sure. Been through a long list of troubleshooting. SG/Plato issue was one of the first things I looked into. I tried different decimal lengths, retaliated a dozen times, and so forth. I don't stress out about numbers, efficiency, etc. Out of curiosity, I picked up a Tilt, and it was more like plug-and-play. Based solely on my experience, the Tilt app makes the data flow, I think because it is just better at communicating with its own device so that once on my phone, the data can get to brewfather reliably.

Once you close the lid on the fermentor, it becomes much harder to trouble shoot the connection.

One thing you should do is use tilt^3 instead of tilt*tilt*tilt because you only have a limited number of characters for the formula.

For ubidots, you add one widget that just reports the value from the iSpindel as is (either SG or °Plato, whichever the iSpindel is reporting). For the other, use a 'synthetic varible' and enter an appropriate formula, either

°P = 260.4 - 260.5/SG (if the i&pindel reports SG) or

SG = 260.4/(260.4 - °Plato)
If the iSpindel reports °P.
Thank you. I will check it all out when I can fish the Ispindel out of the unitank in a few months!

Back