is this a good deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a bad deal, not with getting a ball valve and thermometer included. The bottom is probably pretty thin so you'll want to be careful adding liquid extract (if that's what you do) so it doesn't settle on the bottom and scorch.

I have an 80 QT Concord pot...its so heavy duty it will last 10 lifetimes...I wouldn't hesitate about buying one of their pots for a second...many here use them. If it were me I'd skip the thermometer as its not needed. sticking a thermometer in the pot works just fine. They come in a few different configurations. If you want the valve that's fine. I just use an auto siphon but whtever floats yours boat...I've had mine for 5 years now and still looks like new...don't be scared off by a the cheap price..they're a great pot

My fancy 'lectric system has a Concord pot with a bunch of ports welded on. It's a very decent vessel, no complaints about metal quality, but the bottom is definitely thin.

That dial thermo may be total junk, many are! If you use it, compare it to a good thermometer like a Thermapen--write down corrections at several important points like 70F, 150F, etc. They can vary!

I have some experience with one.
I used on of these for a while and they are better than keggles... The problem I had with mine is the riveted handles leaked and because it was so wide you get more boil off (and it takes more power to maintain a boil) . Also because it was so wide when brewing smaller amounts like 5 gallons the kettle wort level was not very high.(the 60 quart is wider than it is tall) This meant I couldnt add much hops to my hop basket which I had to set directly on the bottom of the kettle.. as far as the thickness and construction besides the leaky handles and dimensions they were better built than the thin bayou kettles I use now.
In short, the taller narrow kettles work a bit better for a few reasons. especially for electric. But these will get the job done

Last edited:
Back