Irish Red Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No_Nrg

Reaction score
Trying to put together a Irish Red Ale recipe and came up with this based on research, anything I'm missing?

Planning on a BIAB no sparge method, will probably scale this down to 2 gallons to test.

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.26%
IBU (tinseth): 22.39
SRM (morey): 16.31

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - United Kingdom - Pale 2-Row (80%)
1 lb - German - CaraAroma (10%)
0.5 lb - German - CaraFoam (5%)
0.5 lb - German - Melanoidin (5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Target, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.66
0.5 oz - Fuggles, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.37
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.37

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 157 F, Time: 0 min, Amount: 28.2 qt, Mash Strike Water
2) 60 minute mash, 152 F

YEAST:
Wyeast - Denny's Favorite 50 1450
Fermentation Temp: 62 F

Thanks

This looks like Mysticmead's Raging Red. Very popular recipe.

For the hops, I would push the Target bittering addition to 30 minutes to give smoother bittering. With the later Target addition, you could add a half ounce of each of your late hops at, say, 15 and 5 minutes. It would give you more flavor, with less aroma, which would be more in keeping with the style.

Looks good.

Cara aroma is tasty but pretty damn potent, it`ll dominate the beer at 10%.

This looks like Mysticmead's Raging Red. Very popular recipe.

For the hops, I would push the Target bittering addition to 30 minutes to give smoother bittering. With the later Target addition, you could add a half ounce of each of your late hops at, say, 15 and 5 minutes. It would give you more flavor, with less aroma, which would be more in keeping with the style.

Looks good.

That recipe is actually where I got the grain reference (Thanks Mysticmead :mug:)

Just changed to UK 2 row pale, and different hops plus omitted the honey.

Hmm, good point on the hop aroma. I was concerned about the 1 minute additions leaving too much hop aroma, which isn't to style.

so for like this then:
HOPS:
0.5 oz - Target, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 16.65
0.5 oz - Fuggles, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 4.21
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.69

Ends up with same total IBU as before, but assuming the increased boil times of Fuggles and Willamette cuts down on the hop aroma and flavor.

For an Irish Red, I'd toss a small amount (maybe 2%) roasted barley. I'd cut back the Caraaroma and add in a lighter Crystal as well. If you're going for something authentic, I'd go with a UK crystal malt rather than the continental stuff. But that's just my opinion. The roasted barley, however, is pretty important for the style, both for color and for that hint of roasty dryness in the finish. Otherwise it might as well be a darker Amber Ale.

For an Irish Red, I'd toss a small amount (maybe 2%) roasted barley. I'd cut back the Caraaroma and add in a lighter Crystal as well. If you're going for something authentic, I'd go with a UK crystal malt rather than the continental stuff. But that's just my opinion. The roasted barley, however, is pretty important for the style, both for color and for that hint of roasty dryness in the finish. Otherwise it might as well be a darker Amber Ale.

So something like this for the grain bill would be more to style?
FERMENTABLES:
8.25 lb - United Kingdom - Pale 2-Row (82.9%)
0.6 lb - German - CaraAroma (6%)
1.6 oz - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (1%)

So something like this for the grain bill would be more to style?
FERMENTABLES:
8.25 lb - United Kingdom - Pale 2-Row (82.9%)
0.6 lb - German - CaraAroma (6%)
1.6 oz - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (1%)

Getting closer. I haven't punched any numbers, but I might up the roasted barley to 2-3 oz. If you want the crystal malt bill as is, then leave it an give it a shot. No reason it won't be tasty as is, just may not be a true-to-style Irish Red. If it were me, I'd knock the CaraAroma to 3-4%, cut the CaraFoam back or eliminate it entirely, and make up the difference with maybe CaraMunich or something. That's if you insist on using continental crystal malts. I'd recommend swapping for equivalent UK crystal malts.

Here's what I do (5.5 gallon batch, but I also get high efficiency so at more "average" 75% efficiency it works out close enough to the same for 5 gallons)

87.1% Maris Otter (8 lbs)
5.4% English 45L Crystal (8 oz)
2.7% English 150L Crystal (4 oz)
2.7% Carapils (4 oz)
2% Roasted Barley 515L (3 oz)

Getting closer. I haven't punched any numbers, but I might up the roasted barley to 2-3 oz. If you want the crystal malt bill as is, then leave it an give it a shot. No reason it won't be tasty as is, just may not be a true-to-style Irish Red. If it were me, I'd knock the CaraAroma to 3-4%, cut the CaraFoam back or eliminate it entirely, and make up the difference with maybe CaraMunich or something. That's if you insist on using continental crystal malts. I'd recommend swapping for equivalent UK crystal malts.

Here's what I do (5.5 gallon batch, but I also get high efficiency so at more "average" 75% efficiency it works out close enough to the same for 5 gallons)

87.1% Maris Otter (8 lbs)
5.4% English 45L Crystal (8 oz)
2.7% English 150L Crystal (4 oz)
2.7% Carapils (4 oz)
2% Roasted Barley 515L (3 oz)

Yeah that`s a more standard recipe. Nothing wrong with you original recipe it`s just a big big malt bomb more than a standard Irish red ale.

thanks guys for the help, think I've got an idea for a first run batch, let you know how it ends up.

Ended up brewing a 2 gallon test batch of the recipe below (scaled from 5 gallons using brewers friend). I've got it sitting in fermentation at 62-63 degree range, bubbling along nicely. Hit 69% brewhouse efficiency, not bad doing a no sparge full volume BIAB mash.

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Irish Red Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.2 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.2 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.036
Efficiency: 69% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.18%
IBU (tinseth): 21.5
SRM (daniels): 16.38

FERMENTABLES:
3.59 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (82.5%)
4.2 oz - German - CaraAroma (6%)
3.5 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (5%)
3.5 oz - German - Melanoidin (5%)
1 oz - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (1.4%)

HOPS:
6 g - Target, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.8, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 15.68
5.5 g - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.1, Use: Aroma for 15 min, IBU: 3.88
5.5 g - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.1, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 1.94

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 159 F, Time: 0 min, Amount: 14.3 qt, 14q 9.6oz
2) Temperature, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - Denny's Favorite 50 1450

Back