IPA today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legume

Reaction score
So I have been working on improving my IPA recipe lately. I am really happy with my last few batches. Today I brewed a higher ABV version of the basic recipe I have been working on.

Todays recipe and numbers are below:

CaCl2 1.00 tsp
Gypsum (CaS04) 1.00 tsp
Epsom Salt (MgSO4) 0.10 tsp
Kosher Salt (NaCl) 0.10 tsp
Lactic Acid (88%) 0.10 ml

Termamyl (thermo stable a amylase) 2.00 Tbsp
Millet (toasted, 350F for 40 min) 10.00 lb
Buckwheat (toasted) 1.50 lb
Tapioca Starch 2.00 lb
James Brown rice malt (Eckert) 8 oz
Amber Brown Rice Malt (Eckert) 8 oz
Crystal Millet Malt 1 lb

SEBamyl L (endo amylase for high maltose syrups) 15.00 ml

Dissolve salts in RO water.
Add Termamyl, Millet(non malted), buckwheat, & starch to 4 gal water.
Heat to 185 F with constant stirring.
Rest at 185 F for 15 min.
Add Crystal Millet and rice malts.
Hold at ~180 F for 90 min.
Reduce temperature of mash to 140F by adding 1 gal water and some ice.
Add SEBamyl L and mash for 90 minutes at 140F

Sparge with 2.5gal RO water, boil as usual.

Ingredient: Quantity: Time:
Nugget Hops 1.00 oz 60
Sucrose 1.00 lb 60

Whirlfloc Tab 0.50 10
Yeast Nutrient 0.50 Tbsp 10
Cascade Hops 2.00 oz 10

Citra Hops 2.00 oz 5
Cascade Hops 2.00 oz At Flame Out

D45 Candi Syrup 1 lb directly into fermentor

Racked directly onto a WPL007 yeast cake (from a previous batch).
Keg Hop, Citra 2 oz

SG: 1.078
FG predicted: 1.014
IBU predicted: 78

Noob question, you can use that much unmalted grain and still get conversion?

JMath
its not a noob question, I do have an unusual process for GF brewing.

I use mostly non malted grain, the malted grain that I do use is mashed at 175 F, so any native amylase from the grain is destroyed in my mash.
100% of my conversion is due to the amylase that I add.
This method is providing good efficiency and I am making great GF beer.

Hello,

I am french brewer. Knowledge in France about GF brewing is very poor. This section is very interesting, I am impressed!

I would like to brew with non malted millet and buckwheat and I am very interested in your method.

Do you think I can use millet with hull?

Is it essential to toast it? For taste and color? what if I complete with special millet or rice malt?

Should I mill millet and buckwheat? With a special mill?

Is there something I should know about filtration? Does "gelatinization" mean it is harder to stir and filter than in conventionnal brewing?

How can I buy Termamyl? Do they sell samples before buying the full quantity? Would you have the main characteristics so I can ask my friends working in this field if they have something equivalent?

Is it acceptable to use normal yeast if coeliac sufferer drink it?

I am sorry for my poor english and to ask so many questions! Hope you will have enough time to answer me, and understand if not...

Many thanks,

Arnaud

I forgot one more question...

I don't have RO water. Moreover, my water is special:
(Ca2+) 105 (Mg2+) 7,4 (HCO3-) 326 (SO42-) 5 (Na+) 11,3 (Cl-) 17,9

What should I know about water and salts to brew GF?

Thanks again

Hello,

I am french brewer. Knowledge in France about GF brewing is very poor. This section is very interesting, I am impressed!

I would like to brew with non malted millet and buckwheat and I am very interested in your method.

Do you think I can use millet with hull?

Is it essential to toast it? For taste and color? what if I complete with special millet or rice malt?

Should I mill millet and buckwheat? With a special mill?

Is there something I should know about filtration? Does "gelatinization" mean it is harder to stir and filter than in conventionnal brewing?

How can I buy Termamyl? Do they sell samples before buying the full quantity? Would you have the main characteristics so I can ask my friends working in this field if they have something equivalent?

Is it acceptable to use normal yeast if coeliac sufferer drink it?

I am sorry for my poor english and to ask so many questions! Hope you will have enough time to answer me, and understand if not...

Many thanks,

Arnaud

Noar,

Termamyl is available in small quantities for home brewers in the U.S., I am not sure about the E.U.
The SEBamyl that I use is only available in commercial quantities, you could substitute "Diastase" or "AMG300" for the SEBamyl, but you might need to shorten the time for the 140F rest.

I do not know if you need to toast the non-malted grains or not. This is something I have been meaning to test, but have not had a chance. My very light toasting does not provide much color, I do not know if it is an important step or not.

I use a "corona" style mill to grind all of my grains. they get run through the mill twice to ensure a fine grind. There is nothing special about my mill, I am sure that many different types of mill would work.

"gelatinization" means cooking the starch. The starch must be gelatinized before the enzymes can break it into fermentable sugars. All mashes must gelatinize the starch, but it takes higher temperatures to gelatinize the starch in non-malted grains.

To filter my mash I poor it into a "Zap Pap" style lauder ton lined with a mesh bag.

Dry yeasts are gluten free, liquid yeast is not GF.

I sometimes buy liquid yeast and then culture the yeast on GF media to make it safe to use.

It would be much easier for you to start with GF dry yeast while you are figuring out the rest of the process.

I can not help you with the water chemistry question, this is not my area of expertise.
You should not need any special water profile for a gluten free beer.
I would just use water that is apropreate for the style you are trying to brew.

Noar,

Palmer (How to Brew) has a good basic section on water chemistry and he was a coauthor on a book called “Water” I think. I would start there.

You can get your water tested at a place like Ward labs and see if you can work with the water you have out of the tap or build up with RO water. There are water chemistry calculator spreadsheets available. I would use at least two of them to make sure they agree as they can be confusing to us “non chemists”.

Most of the literature is based on keeping the mash pH right for the enzymes natural to the grain and the amount of roasted grain dictates how much buffering is needed from ion concentrations in the water. I am not sure if the enzymes a lot of us use to accommodate the higher gelatinization temperature of GF grains are more or less sensitive to mash pH.

In any case, you can go crazy trying to find definitive guidance for water chemistry. I would learn enough to make sure you don’t have water that is way out of bounds and then just see how it goes.

Hey,

Thank you very much, I could'nt remember the name of this forum, finnaly found it, and have just read your answers !

It appears to be more simple to buy enzymes in Europe.

Could you help me summarize the main characteristics of the enzymes I will need?

To replace Termamyl: I should ask for a thermo-stable alpha-amylase, right? It has to be thermo-stable because the gelatinization temperature is higher than barley. Why do we add this enzyme at this step (and not after cooling)? Is it important for the process of gelatinization itself? Or is it because alpha-amylase is important to reduce viscosity doing a kind of liquefaction? Is it still usefull after cooling?

To replace SEBamyl L: It's function is to produce fermentable sugars (transform dextrines into maltose) is'nt it? Is it a beta-amylase? Does "endo amylase" mean the same thing? What about "diastase"? Concerning AMG300, many websites describes it to be a exo-alpha amylase, others to be a beta-amylase, i am lost!! I understand that AMG300 is a bit too efficient in producing maltose, reason why you recommand to reduce time for this step if using it. Do you know what caracteristic can explain this difference? it could help me choose something closer to SEBamyl than AMG300 if possible... Otherwise I might be abble to buy SEBamyl GL (instead of L) do you know how different it is?

Is the millet you use with hull? I would buy it gross to a neighbour. I am afraid it could add some bitterness.

Sorry if I ask too many details, understand if you can't answer of course.

Many thanks,

Arnaud

Hey,

Thank you very much, I could'nt remember the name of this forum, finnaly found it, and have just read your answers !

It appears to be more simple to buy enzymes in Europe.

Could you help me summarize the main characteristics of the enzymes I will need?

To replace Termamyl: I should ask for a thermo-stable alpha-amylase, right? It has to be thermo-stable because the gelatinization temperature is higher than barley. Why do we add this enzyme at this step (and not after cooling)? Is it important for the process of gelatinization itself? Or is it because alpha-amylase is important to reduce viscosity doing a kind of liquefaction? Is it still usefull after cooling?

This enzyme will assist in liquefaction and increase your efficency. Any thermostable amylase will work fine. If you did not add this enzyme during the high temperature rest, you would still make beer, but your efficiency would be lower.

To replace SEBamyl L: It's function is to produce fermentable sugars (transform dextrines into maltose) is'nt it? Is it a beta-amylase? Does "endo amylase" mean the same thing? What about "diastase"? Concerning AMG300, many websites describes it to be a exo-alpha amylase, others to be a beta-amylase, i am lost!! I understand that AMG300 is a bit too efficient in producing maltose, reason why you recommand to reduce time for this step if using it. Do you know what caracteristic can explain this difference? it could help me choose something closer to SEBamyl than AMG300 if possible... Otherwise I might be abble to buy SEBamyl GL (instead of L) do you know how different it is?

I have never used SeBamyl GL, you could e mail the manufacturer and ask about how it differs from "L". They have been helpfull when I have had questions.

As for the beta vs alpha amylase, these terms describe the general type of activity of the enzyme; but each product behaves very differently. I think SEBAMYL L is technically an alpha (endo), but it is aggressive enough to produce fermentable wort. AMG300 is a beta(exo) amylase.

Is the millet you use with hull? I would buy it gross to a neighbour. I am afraid it could add some bitterness.

The millet I use does not have much of a hull, but I am not sure that millet has much hull to begin with. I buy it in bulk on Amazon.

Sorry if I ask too many details, understand if you can't answer of course.

No problem...good luck

Many thanks,

Arnaud

Hi there Legume, and thanks for putting so much effort in both the process and its spreading. I'm still shaky about these different amylases; can you help point out what I could get on here for instance? Basically, they carry a lot of different alpha amylases, and the WLN4300 Opti-Mash, but none really mention the need for a second serving of amylases—except the ones aiming at producing strong spirits, that advise using a glucoamylase-filled yeast.

Again, thanks for your help!

Eigther the Alcotech alpha amylase or the WLN4300 would make a good substitute for the Termamyl in the high temp mash.
For the second mash step you need either a very aggressive alpha amylase or a beta amylase(AKA glucoamylase).
I use an aggressive alpha amylase in the second rest (SEBamyl L), but you could also use a glucoamylase.
If you use a glucoamylase, you will need to dial in the mash temp and time (probably a shorter time) to get a wort that is not excessively fermentable.

I have tried using the glucoamylase AMG300 in the second rest, it resulted in a very dry beer.
It could probably be used to produce good wort/beer, but a shorter rest would definitely be needed.

I cannot stress enough how your expertise is appreciated, Legume :) I may be asking a question that has been answered elsewhere, and if so, do not hesitate to point me there, but what would happen if I were to skip the second mash? I cannot find glucoamylase or SEBamyl L anywhere on order for the UK :-(

For the second rest, would Beano work? They are quite expensive in the UK, as they come from the US, but it'd be an option I'd consider if need be.

Cheers;
M.

If you skip the second rest, the wort will contain lots of unfermentable dextrines.
You will have a sweet beer with a high finishing gravity.
If you try this you should extend the rest to 3+ hours and use a highly attenuating yeast strain, and don't make a high gravity beer.

Belle Saison will ferment some dextrines that other strains won't, it might work well in a wort like this.

Thanks Legume! Going back to the vendor I linked before, they do have this: "Complete Enzyme". While I don't thing the amylase therein is thermo resistant, it contains Amyloglucosidase (misspelled there), which is just another name for glucoamylase! Finally :) I'll go and use this for the second rest then. Thanks a huge lot for your help; I'll report in the forum here any success or failure. Cheers!

Brewing this tomorrow! Say, Legume, if you did end up with a "predicted" FG, does that mean you have some brewing software in which you can use Millet, Buckwheat etc? If that's beersmith, would you mind sharing your ingredient files? :)

Cheers;
M.

HI Micha,

I use the on line "Brewers Friend" software. I have learned that if I select the (non-GF) barley equivalent of the grains I am using, then set my efficency to 63% I get a rather accurate gravity prediction(your results will likely vary as you will brew on a different equipment).

I enter the non malted grains as American pale 2 row, and choose the closest SRM barley malt equivalent for any malted grains I am using.

Not very elegant, but the numbers are usually very close to my actual values.

Back