IPA Recipe - Chinook/Cascade/CTZ - How's this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
Hey, I've been brewing for a little bit, but still rather new at throwing my own recipes together. I was wondering how this would turn out...

Making a kinda-Hawaii themed IPA Named Oh Triple C (anyone from here would be able to recognize that lol), basically using 3 different types of "C" hops.

Anyway here goes, it's a 2.5g BIAB batch:

Fermentables:
5lb 2-row (83.3%)
.5 US Munich (8.3%)
.5 US Caramel 20L (8.3%)

Hops:
.5oz Chinook 60m
.5oz Cascade 15m
.5oz CTZ 10m
.25oz Chinook 1m
.25oz Cascade 1m
.25oz CTZ 1m
.5oz Chinook 4 day dry hop
.5oz Cascade 4 day dry hop
.5oz CTZ 4 day dry hop

Yeast:
US-05

Shooting for 6.2% ABV and 78 IBU. Kinda a medium strength beer and semi hoppy, it's for a work party and I work with a lot of craft beer / IPA drinkers.

Looks good, or is there anything you'd change?

For those who are wondering, OCCC is the name of the federal prison on the island lol.

Last edited:
I would suggest replacing the Chinook and CTZ with Citra and Centennial.
Chinook, to me, is a bit on the harsh side. CTZ are very nice but I am more partial to fruity hops these days.

I'd use CTZ at 60 min for your bittering addition, and do the first chinook at 15 or 10 min with the cascade.

I would suggest replacing the Chinook and CTZ with Citra and Centennial.
Chinook, to me, is a bit on the harsh side. CTZ are very nice but I am more partial to fruity hops these days.

Ok I'll try that with one of my next beers, I'm out of centennial hops since my last brew :(

I'd use CTZ at 60 min for your bittering addition, and do the first chinook at 15 or 10 min with the cascade.

Sounds good, I'll do that. My last 2 brews have used Chinook as my bittering addition. CTZ should be something new for me.

Looks tasty. I did a single hop with all chinook and loved it.

Mash profile?

Yep, did 2 brews using only Chinook as the single hop & was a fan. My first ever was a Chinook IPA that got me hooked on the hobby / addiction lol.

Oh sorry, mash profile is BiAB

I usually try to hit 152-154, I've been getting good results in that range, and I prefer beers with medium body and not overly dry.

Also mash for 90 minutes, I get about 70-75% efficiency.

It’s nice to see someone using the old skool hops! I would back off the caramel malt to about 4 oz, and maybe double your flameout additions. I’m also not a huge fan of Chinook as a bittering hop (kind of an acrid, lasting bitterness), although I like it later in the boil.

I am currently enjoying a Chinook, Cascade and Columbus IPA and it is killer.

60% Chinook + 20% Cascade + 20% Columbus / All hops were crop 2017

I dry hopped at the same ratio. No bittering addition, but started addiing loads of hops in the last 15 minutes + a big whirlpool with 6 oz hops.

Very pungent, in your face aroma and flavour. There is resin, pine, dank, grapefruit juice and rind and a nice juicy citrus undertone to it, which I am enjoying a lot. 70 IBUs / 7.1% ABV / 14 oz hops for almost 6 gallons of beer.

Chinook can be slightly abrasive, but if you treat right, it makes great beers and IPAs.

Nice! Yeah according to BeerAlchemy, this recipe comes out to 90 IBU's lol. But hey I like my hops :D Curious to see how this comes out.

Chinook yeah there seems to be polarizing opinions on it. It really does seem to be one of those either love or hate it hops. The beer I'm drinking now is a Chinook / Mosaic (named it the Frankenstein since it was my first made-up recipe), which is one of my favorites so far. The flavor seems to have a spicy bitterness to it, but the Mosaic smooths it out a little, good combo. My friend and I were drinking it yesterday and he said it tasted like a sierra nevada lol, I'll probably be making it again at some point.

Back