Insulating Keezer Collar - Insulation Roll?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
I see allot of people using insulation board around their collars. I know how much of a pain in the butt it can be to work with these boards in cutting them down to size so I was looking at an alternate solution by using a roll on insulation application (glue and staple to inside of collar). My thought was to use the product in the link below. It has similar R- values as insulation board so I thought this may be a good alternate solution to the board as it is easier to cut this material. Thoughts?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204476659-_-100012574-_-N

It will not have the same R-value where you staple, (collapse), it down.

Rigid insulation is pretty easy to work with, easy to secure, won't have any fibers floating, (potentially) around.

What's so much of a "pain in the butt" about working with it?

"Thoughts", you said..........

Edit:.........I see you are looking @ "reflectix" type insulation, vs. what I "thought"...........

I would still use rigid.

also rigid board offers another benefit that bubble wrap doesnt, it has a very low perm rating making it an excellent vapor barrier preventing ice up and vapor drive

Oh and I taped the reflecix in. Home Depot sells the shiny tape on the same shelf as the reflectix

I used Reflectix and Shiny tape from HD

IMG_1433.jpg

I have not insulated the collar on my latest keezer build but my current plan is to use the interlocking rubber mats and glue in place and then caulk the seams.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Groovy-M...mfortable-Mat-100-sq-ft-Case-GYCMBK/204714324

These things.. They come in a pack of 4 for less than 20.00 I think, Easy to cut, looks clean and pretty dense. I may even double it up. I used this in the interior lid of the keezer as well. Here is a pic of that
p1348279001-4.jpg

Brett

Latest posts

Back