Injector for adding small amounts of liquid to unitank under pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
i use biofine clear for finings. its much smaller volume than gelatin. the problem is that while i have setups i use for larger stuff like dry hops, they dont really work well with a small amount of liquid. i feel like the liquid just runs all over the bottom of the sight glass, coats the butterfly valve, and barely any drips into the beer....

but now that i've been doing alot of pressurized ferments, i'm also now needing a way to get it injected to a conical at like 25ish psi. i'd say to hell with it and just double the amount, but thats still only like 2tsp, or maybe 10ml. still pretty small quantity.

anybody have something that works well with small volumes and high pressure?

Something like the keg land carbonation tee and caps would work with a 12oz bottle or even one of the old while labs vials, if you have one. Add the biofine to the bottle, and purge with co2. Flood the bottle with your beer, then shoot it back into the fermenter with higher pressure.

i've used one of those for years on kegs. i had a thread around here somewhere explaining which drink to buy at the store to get the smallest bottle with soda threads, i think it was a ginger ale of some sort at like 6oz. which is still 180ml. i'm dosing like 10, maybe 20.

in any case, it still doesnt solve the problem of having a pretty damn small quantity of liquid needing to get into the conical without losses. im still losing volume on the carba cap, the union, the receiving carba cap, qd post/poppit and gas tube before it drops into the beer.

maybe there just isnt really a good way to do it when you're under pressure...

You may have to blow it down a bit 25 psi is pretty high but you can still do it like breweries. Take the smallest corny you have, dose the corny with biofine (whatever kind you choose), purge the corny of O2, hook up corny to raking arm in upwards position, backflow beer into corny (releasing pressure as beer flows in). Up CO2 intake above head pressure on fermenter, pump it in. Repeat a few times to homogenize and get all biofine in. You can do the same with extracts as well.

You may have to blow it down a bit 25 psi is pretty high but you can still do it like breweries. Take the smallest corny you have, dose the corny with biofine (whatever kind you choose), purge the corny of O2, hook up corny to raking arm in upwards position, backflow beer into corny (releasing pressure as beer flows in). Up CO2 intake above head pressure on fermenter, pump it in. Repeat a few times to homogenize and get all biofine in. You can do the same with extracts as well.
actually pressure shouldnt be an issue, soda bottles handle way more than 25psi. but i have no desire to backflush into kegs, PITA to do resulting cleaning/sanitizing.

i guess you're probably right about the principle involved tho. im likely going to have an easier time if i just dilute it into a larger volume. then i only need to worry about getting DO out of the solute.

I was only mentioning the psi so back flowing into your corny isn’t so fast. I have done this hundreds of times at work. Silafine works the best in my opinion. As long as you purge the corny properly DO is very minimal.

Back