Infection or Yeast Rafts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
In my 40-50 batches of brewing so far I've only had one infection before, so I'm finding it difficult to tell if this is an infection or just yeast rafts. The symptoms are these white globular rafts that have somewhat of a 'powdery' appearance. Since I don't like introducing infection any further into my system, I'll probably dump it if it is infected. I haven't given it a taste yet but probably will unless I get some unanimous answers one way or the other:

JwchZhddsYcxzwlGNb48x25MRSVk83LgOd-rN2pFR-HdyNnHOuD466CNPqkB3J2Az96PwWe0awY5Dy8Xxd7lFGviuCoguV3A.jpg

rOfSRSiim1W8mjcKLFftpmxADpNgvTetYnQN5FINHCJRl7hwf1jGSZzDAyflM8R-K2rCM93VhNEbd98TdnCeL2eGO7P_UbZa.jpg

lfCikvo5pzW2E2PUwhOS4ME12_2BjKu2esSQxaA36R8xF58TGdhqja6xsQ9Fk1wS8__G1TN_u2WS4kSrQ6OBpIM4JHSWtcGe.jpg

It smells fine - no sourness, but got a bit carbon dioxide burn when I took a giant whiff close up. After posting the pictures I looked again and it seems a lot of them sank. I had to move the fermenter before opening it the first time and it may be that I disturbed some trub off the bottom or the sides. The coloration, lack of sour smell, and lack of spidery lines makes me optimistic, but as I don't have a lot of experience with infections I thought I'd ask opinions here. Thanks!

edit: oh, it's been in the fermenter for just shy of 3 weeks. Temperatures were kept within yeasts preferred range the entire time.

I was going to say it looked like floating yeast colonies, rather than just rafts. A lil different looking than the usual floaters. But looks like yeast color as well.

Thanks guys, I'm going to go ahead and rack this to secondary (I know, I know... it's my preferred method) and cold crash it.

It's racked, an FG of 1.007 and is now cold crashing. Girlfriend said it had a 'zing' taste to it. I asked her to describe further, but she just keeps repeating 'zing'. I couldn't taste anything amiss.

Back