Infected Westvleteren Clone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggdp

Reaction score
I made a Westvleteren Clone back in October, based off of this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/westvleteren-12-clone-multiple-award-winner.500037/ and everything had been going along very well. Hit my numbers for the most, though it did over attenuate a bit and ended with a FG of 1.008. I moved to secondary in November and had tasted once a month since, with the plan of bottling anytime in February, the last two months it had been developing wonderfully.

I went to check up on it this weekend and noticed a pellicle was forming. Damn. Didn't taste any off flavors. I'm sure that, even though I was extremely cautious and thoroughly sanitized my thief, the bung and the carboy, when I was sampling in the last couple months I must have mistakenly infected the beer. I know that the bugs will keep doing their thing and I've reluctantly come to terms with that. I do, however want to bottle the beer because I think it will still be quite good even if LAB or Brett work on it for the foreseeable future. I don't see any activity in the airlock, but...

That's the Background. Here's my question:

Am I just asking for bottle bombs if I prime and bottle now? Do I need to under prime the beer so that any residual sugar eaten by the bugs won't cause gushers or bombs? Or should I just wait and leave it in the carboy a couple more months since it's obviously infected?

Thanks!

Back