Ideal Steam Condenser Output Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the theory behind immersion chiller output, but I can't wrap my head around, nor find any info as to what the ideal output for a steam condenser should be during the boil to confirm it's being used optimally. There are times when it's lukewarm to the touch, and others when I can't touch it at all and steam is actually coming out of the output hose along with the water.

Is it the same as in immersion chiller: too cold and the boil isn't intense enough and too hot the boil is too intense? What is optimal?

The way I look at it is to make sure my boil is how I want it. If the condenser gets really hot it means that my boil is going stronger than I want. But that's on my system. If lots of steam is coming out then it is not working well enough and you room is going to get humid.

I'm running the 9gph spray head on a 65L Brewzilla with typically 6gal batches with midwest-cold ground water, so I'm venturing a guess that it isn't the performance of the condenser. I've played with the heat intensity here and there due to missing the target post-boil volume on a few batches, and other than viewing the temp readout from the unit, I don't have a good idea of boil intensity without cracking the lid. I thought I'd be able to use the condenser output water temp as an indicator to adjust the boil intensity, but realized I don't know what the ideal temp should be.

Latest posts

Back