Ice Cream Maker for Experimental Mini-Mashes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried or considered using an electric ice cream maker (like this one) to make experimental mini-mashes.

Ice Cream Maker.jpeg

The idea would be to add a RIMS like recirc heater loop to heat water around the inner cylinder which would contain the mash. Comes with constant stirring motorized mash paddle!

Nostalgia-Electrics-ICMP-400-4-Quart-Electric-Ice-Cream-Maker-parts-300x225.jpg

The whole thing could be automated easily with something like StrangeBrewElsinore to do step mashes and even control the mash stirring.

Anyone see any downside potential?

Brew on :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it sounds like a neat idea. I also think you might have too much time on your hands :p
Well I am retired, and temporarily on a med that keeps me from sleeping soundly, so got to keep the mind busy with something.

That looks like a great idea to me. Maybe big enough to do 1-2 gal batches?

Maximum mash size is would be just under 1 gal including grain + strike water. So, maybe big enough for partial mash of 1 - 1.5 gal batches.

Let's see this thing in action then! I'm always hearing it from my friends because whether we're at work, shopping, garage sales, I inevitably come out with "hey, I could use that for brewing". When they complain that's all I think about I remind them it's their fault for dragging me out shopping. Glad to see I'm not the only one obsessed. ;)

For sure, sticking it in an oven is way easier. Assuming this is more of a because you can thing than an actual need.

The idea is more of a "home brewing lab" tool than a brewing device. I have become interested in mash kinetics related to crush size vs conversion time vs temperature vs agitation levels. This struck me as a way to build a low cost device that could provide a great deal of control over mash parameters. Water baths are a common lab tool for conducting experiments at controlled temperatures. Much easier to kick out lots of data on 1/2 -3/4 gal mashes than 9 - 10 gal mashes, and with a much higher level of control. Could also be used for doing test mashes for pH confirmation prior to committing a "production" mash.

Latest posts

Back