I want to vent- don't read if you're in a good mood!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, we went to our neighboring town today (50 miles away) to do a little grocery shopping, etc. There is a gas station/liquor store/bait shop/deli (if you live in Wisconsin, you'll know what I'm talking about) that is trying to be a LHBS. I've bought a few things there (priming sugar, caps, corks, etc), but the owner recently told me that she only orders a couple of times a year because she has to order $5000 at a time to get a truck to come in. So, the stuff sitting around is fairly old. Fair enough, I knew that. So, to my utter surprise, she has everything I need (except a few hops) to make the batch I'm planning. I have the yeast already. I thought- well, it's a little older grain, but I'd like to buy locally if I can. But, I don't see a barley crusher or mill anywhere, so I ask her if they have one in the back. She asked me to repeat that, and I did. She told me that she has never heard of a mill or crusher, and that they don't sell or have such a thing. This is the first time she's ever heard that expression in her life. She told me to just buy the bags of malted barley, and use that.

So, I left. Darn it- I would like to give her my business but just can't. How could you run a LHBS and never have heard of a mill? Or am I the lunatic here? On my way out, though, I did grab a couple of very nice six packs- they have a darn good beer selection for our neck of the woods. Then, at our next stop, the Sav-A-Lot where we buy lots of stuff had a big closed sign. Apparently they went out of business since Christmas when we were last over there. :( But, I did win $64 at my hospital Christmas party last night. :)

OK, I feel better now.
Thanks for listening,
Lorena

ask her to hire you as a consultant. my lhbs guy says giving info is 80% of being in the biz. She cant be for real about never hearing about a mill!

Well, clearly, she's doesn't know how homebrewing works. Doubt that there's anything you can do, clearly, she doesn't do enough business (and is unlikely to ever do enough business) where she'll feel compelled to invest any money in a mill.

Frankly, you ought to get one - then, you CAN shop there when you want, you can buy in bulk (maybe she can order you a 50-lb bag of pale malt when she DOES place an order?), and your stuff will stay fresher unmilled. You have any luck with the guy who had the Corona mill? I really think that for your situation, even dropping $100 on a decent mill would be a very good investment for you.

Not to diminish the fact that she's clueless and that sucks... :mad:

No, I didn't get the mill. I PM'd him first, but someone else pm'd him with their address right away. I'm still not really comfortable giving out my home address until we've "made a deal". Anyway, someone else was the fortunate recipient of a corona mill. I thought that was very nice of him! I'm going to have to invest in a mill- you're right. I have to wait until I get back from the Bahamas, though. Right now is not the time to talk to my husband about getting another "money saving tool" for homebrew! I just got the MLT a couple of weeks ago and swore it was the last expense. I have to remember that patience is the most important part of brewing!

What I thought about later was- what if there are some other would-be homebrewers out there who listened to her "advice"? I know there must be some- the county fair in that area had a homebrew contest last summer. I wanted to do it, because the set up was awesome. $20 entry fee and a full six pack. Then, all the entrants get together after the judging and drink the entries, share recipes, talk, etc. My husband wanted to enter, even though he never brewed in his life! I had kids' stuff at that time (my daughter was running for our county fair, as the "Miss Iron County") and couldn't go. I thought that would be fun, though, and I'd meet other homebrewers. I'm an island up here......

Anyway, thanks for making me feel somewhat justified. What kind of LHBS "never heard of such a thing" as crushing the grain?

Lorena

Well, was she being argumentative about it, or was she just honestly clueless? If she was being argumentative/bull-headed about it, I could see getting rather pissed. If she was honestly clueless, I might be a bit more understanding. In fact if your neighboring town is 50 miles away, I'm led to believe it's quite rural where your at. Under those circumstances, it's actually admirable that someone who's business already encompasses alot, would venture into selling brewing supplies. I live in New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the union and it's not like there's a LHBS on every corner. In reality, we might have 4 or so in the entire state; so I actually find it pleasantly surprising that someone in your remote corner of the world cares enough to try and be a LHBS.

Screw the Corona mill. Just save up and do it right the first time. Mills are not that expensive, and if you keep your eyes open, you'll find one used and cheap..

I know every single person on here will give you a heads up if they see one. Shoot, I'm half tempted to send you mine if you'll post those bikini pics. ;)

Just a thought here, isn't there a brew pub in Rhinelander? Check out if they could order stuff for you. Most places like that could add a bag of two row or could sell some roasted/crystal.

Sause- there is a brewpub in Rhinelander (a good one at that) but if I'm driving that far, I might as well go another hour and go to Appleton. The place in Appleton is terrific, and I'll keep giving him business whenever I can.

the bikini pictures will come after my next trip to the Bahamas. I've been- um, INSPIRED by other photos that I've recently seen. I might be neck deep in water, but I'll be in a bikini (or less)!

Erbium- She was not just clueless, but defensively clueless. Like I was a moron for asking if she had a way to crush the grain. How dare I ask for something so ridiculous? She's never HEARD of such a thing! And you're right- we're rural. My brewbuddy just moved here from Seattle and she has friends sending her beer in the mail. She's going through some culture shock, that's for sure. We live in a town of about 3,000 people and it's the largest town in at least a 50 mile diameter. Lots of tourists in the summer, but pretty deserted in the winter. That's the main reason I'd like to buy things from her- to carry aromatic and biscuit malt, with all the other stuff was pretty impressive. Even if it was a bit old, I wanted to buy it just to give her the business. But to tell brewers to use it like that seemed either uncaring or lazy, or truly without a clue.

On a happier note- I went on the ice on Thursday for about 1/2 hour. First time I had skates on since March when I had an unfortunate hockey injury. No hockey this year, but I did skate a bit. My leg is 80% healed, with just a small crack left in my fibula.

So, life is good. I'm having a homebrew (or three) and just finished watching The Big Lebowski. I'm glad my "imaginary friends" listen. And I'm glad we don't get sanctioned for PUI (posting under the influence).

Lorena

I've heard other stories of people's LHBS not having grain mills. It sounds like the owner at the one you go to doesn't have any brewing knowledge.

What we need to do is :
1. find you a decent mill
2. figure out a way for you to get grain in bulk. If we could find some folks who are somewhat near you and would like to go together on a bulk order you could save some bucks.

Yooper Brewmistress said:
So, life is good. I'm having a homebrew (or three) and just finished watching The Big Lebowski. I'm glad my "imaginary friends" listen. And I'm glad we don't get sanctioned for PUI (posting under the influence).

Lorena

Ha! I thought PUI was a requirement for this board! :drunk:

Bonus points to her for trying something new with carrying supplies for the homebrewer... Minus several thousand points for not really knowing what she's doing with the supplies or what they are all about.

IMHO, get back from the islands, and get that mill ordered. You and your friend from the west coast can order in bulk and go from there.

And FWIW, your "imaginary friends" always have your back! :rockin:

Ize

I guarantee you when the aromatic and biscuit malt lies untouched for twelve months, she never orders it again. She probably ordered a bunch of stuff basically at random. She'd probably be better off just ordering some extract, some crystal malt, maybe some chocolate and some other roasted specialty grains, and some dry yeast. That's what one of the beer stores in my old hometown does, it's fine for extract brewers but worthless for AG, but it's all stuff that has a pretty decent shelf life.

I wonder, too, if she's ever looked into any other possible suppliers; $5,000 per order seems like a lot.

Shoot, she could buy from austinhomebrew and get similar prices at a lower volume. Explain to her than she can use the grain mill to tenderize lutefisk!

I just got a Crankandstein (I love my SWMBO) so I have an old Corona to get rid of. It's not the greatest for crushing grain but it's gotten me by for the last 5 years. If you want it you could have it for the cost of shipping.

alemonkey- Oh, that would be awesome! I'll pm you my info right away!

David- that's a great idea! I'll pass that along to her........

By the way, I just ordered from AHS. All the stuff I wanted to get from her, I got for a great price with only $5.99 shipping. I'm glad she is trying to open a LHBS business, I really am, so I still plan on picking up a few things now and then when freshness won't be a concern. Star san, etc, are all decently priced there.

Lorena

Finally got 'round to reading this thread (well scanned it anyhow) and wow, just wow. That is like what the heck...did she just wake up one day and say "hmmm, I'd like to start a business...but what? Ok I got it, flip a coin! Heads...HBS, Tails...Automotive Supply store., Heads!! HBS it is!!"

That is akin to a guy who never opened the hood of his car opening a garage.

Latest posts

Back