I started some cider yesterday. Disaster narrowly averted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually use Aldi juice in half gallon jugs, but they were out so I bought 4 gallon jugs of Kirkland instead. I've never used BV7 yeast in cider before, but I have a bunch of expired packets in the fridge that I bought cheap a few years ago.

I put 2 gallons of juice in a 4 gallon carboy and sprinkled the yeast on top yesterday morning. Last night I saw a tiny raft of foam on top, and when I shook the carboy the airlock bubbled. I added 12 oz of sugar, 2 tsp of Fermax yeast nutrients, and another gallon of juice. Then I looked at the last jug of juice and thought, maybe I should wait with that one. Or go to the store tomorrow and buy a half gallon somewhere and save the unopened gallon for later. This morning the headspace in the carboy is completely full of foam. If I'd added even another half gallon last night I would have a mess today.

I'm still going to get a half gallon of juice (either Aldi's "organic" juice because they had that, or Hy-Vee juice) and add it when the activity dies down a little. And leave a half gallon of headspace (a little less actually because of the sugar) for safety.

Half gallons of apple juice are suddenly hard to find. (that's hard to imagine) So I bought a couple of cans of frozen concentrated AJ (had to go to several stores to find that) I mixed it up and added it, and it foamed up again but not as much. When that falls, probably later today, I think I will add the second can straight without diluting it I'll add the 3 cans of water the next day and it should be almost full.

I need to stock up on half gallon bottles of AJ when Aldi gets them in stock again. That's a very convenient size. I plan on repitching this yeast cake; 3 gallons of Kirkland juice, then a half gallon of Aldi to top it up after the initial foam drops.

Back