Howdy from West Kelowna, BC Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkanaganMike

Reaction score
Well, I've been bitten by the bug big time! Sitting around during the Christmas holidays got me thinking I need a hobby I can do during the crappy cold months. I decided to dabble in this since...hey,... I like beer! That and my local U-brew is very lacking for styles and flavors. Bought John Palmer's "How to Brew", and found an old wine kit making outfit somebody was getting rid of online for cheap (4ea 6gal and 1ea 5gal glass carboys along with a corker which I didn't need (yet :rolleyes:) plus a siphon and accessories all for $40) Thought it was way more than I needed but glad I got them as the more I'm delving into this hobby the more I want to make! Especially since it takes soooooo long before you can drink any! I jumped right into all-grain via BIAB. I bottled my first 5gal last week (Northern English Nut Brown), and have an Anchor Steam clone on seconday with a Moose drool clone and a Cream Ale brewed this weekend. Thats 20gals sitting in the basement and still none worth a sip. This waiting is killing me. Who was the sailor "water water everywhere and not a drop to drink" ?

Welcome! I know the feeling, I've been sitting on lots of brew in the fermenters but none in the belly. I finally started drinking some recently and it's paying off. Admittedly my first batch tastes like, well.... don't have a word for it. But my 2nd batch and those after seem to be pretty darn good. I'm drunk off an Irish Red and an Irish Stout tonight... Very fun hobby, way to much money spent so far but now that I almost have my entire setup in place I will be brewing for years to come. Great Hobby, Great results!

Welcome! I know the feeling, I've been sitting on lots of brew in the fermenters but none in the belly. I finally started drinking some recently and it's paying off. Admittedly my first batch tastes like, well.... don't have a word for it. But my 2nd batch and those after seem to be pretty darn good. I'm drunk off an Irish Red and an Irish Stout tonight... Very fun hobby, way to much money spent so far but now that I almost have my entire setup in place I will be brewing for years to come. Great Hobby, Great results!

Yup but what else is so worthwhile to spend your hard earned dollars on..hmm?

Absolutely. I cracked a bottle of nut brown the other day thinking "it's been a week, lets give'er a try". Turns out I shoulda read the recipe as it says to Age for 21 days. I'm guessing that it takes that long to carbonate eh? There were only a few bubbles and flatter than the dry brown prairies of Saskatchewan. Of course I couldn't let it go to waste and drank the whole liter (Grolsch type bottle) Flat as it was, I'm thinking it still tasted good and can't wait to try in a couple more weeks!

Hey welcome! I moved from the lower mainland to northern AB 2 yrs ago and thought the same thing cause these winters are cold! I've got my first 2 batches fermenting and going to start another in a week, I feel your pain, excellent beer everywhere and none to drink! I'll be coming through the Okanagan end of April, maybe we can arrange a meet up and swap a few beers!

Hey welcome! I moved from the lower mainland to northern AB 2 yrs ago and thought the same thing cause these winters are cold! I've got my first 2 batches fermenting and going to start another in a week, I feel your pain, excellent beer everywhere and none to drink! I'll be coming through the Okanagan end of April, maybe we can arrange a meet up and swap a few beers!

Right on! That sounds like a heck of a plan. :mug:

Latest posts

Back