How to make low ABV beer satisfying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Lawnmower beer, by definition is low in alcohol, and refreshing. The problem is making such a beer really satisfying. Alcohol presence is a big factor in our perception of beer. It adds a compelling flavor element that leaves a low alcohol beer feeling like it is missing something. As a consequence we need to either adjust our tastes, or adjust the beer to be satisfying in other ways. Here are the things I'm finding work for me:

1: Intense hop presence.

An intense hop flavor and aroma of a sort that appeals to you personally, can make a big difference. This means late addition hops or hop bursting, whirlpool, and dry hopping. I like to keep the IBUs on a low ABV (3%) beer down around 30, which makes it a "hoppy" rather than a malty beer. Finding what plays well together in hops is a challenge. I like a balance between fruity and spicy / floral. My favorite summer beer so far uses Mosaic for the backbone, and Willamette to add some "noble character". I Sometimes add some Motueka to broaden the fruit base away from citrus in the passion fruit and stone fruit direction slightly.

2: Carbonation

Carbonation provides a refreshing "bite" to a cold drink...... Carbonating a bit more heavily can make a big difference

3: COLD COLD COLD

The colder you serve a low ABV beer the better..........within reason.

4: Avoid cloying persistent flavors that stay in the mouth

Unfortunately many hop oils tend to persist......... Pay attention to which hops are "guilty" of this and avoid them. You want flavor that goes away after you finish it......I don't have any guidelines on this......it's a matter of trial and error.

H.W.

Another idea:
Mash a few degrees higher than normal. This will leave more unfermentable sugars and the feeling of more "body" to the beer.

I dont think alcohol adds a flavor element to beer, but more of perceived body (from an article I was reading about DIPAs). Hence, why people guzzle certain brews, hear the actual abv, and swear it was lower (due to the absence of alcoholic flavor).

Both my Cream Ale and Weissbier are under 5% and have great flavor. The Weissbier has more body, but is easily quaffable. The Cream Ale, though a little lighter in body, still holds its own and provides great flavor. Both have greater flavor profiles at warmer temps.

A friend of mine had a hop-forward session ale (2.9%) on tap, and while there was flavor, it had the body consistency of water. Therefore, I think the biggest factor to consider in low abv beers is the presence of good body. Your palate may vary though

I'm not even sure I agree with the premise.

Seems like a true "lawnmower beer" would leave lots of room for high-volume consumption, so a "satisfying" metric would want to be on the low side...

I like to add flaked barley to many of my low ABV beers. I have a 3.1% exp pinefruit session ipa that is fantastic. Nice piney hope character along with a better than to be expected body for 3%.

3lbs MO
3lbs white wheat
2lbs flaked barley.

Mashed at 154.

I'm not even sure I agree with the premise.

Seems like a true "lawnmower beer" would leave lots of room for high-volume consumption, so a "satisfying" metric would want to be on the low side...

I'm going to have to agree with that. I think the OP is thinking that "lawnmower beer" = "session beer". If I'm out working in the sun, I don't want anything satisfying, I want something cold and non-filling.

I realize how much I just sounded like a Bud Light ad...

I definitely think that mashing higher (in the 158* range) gives a lot of body to a low ABV beer. I do a ~3% Pale Ale and struggled with the 'watery' body and it was very easy to overbitter. Mashing at 158* has helped a lot.

i disagree with 1-3. I have a 3.2% mild (low hop) on nitro (low carb) that drinks best in the high 40's.

it's one of the most satisfying beers i make.

How about a description...........

I was throwing out what I've found with low alcohol beers I've made. Those factors make them more palatable to me.

I think a discussion about what makes a good low ABV beer is very worthwhile. Most of the beers people home brew are not low alcohol......... there really is a need for an exchange of ideas and experiences in this area.

H.W.

I really disagree with your points. Alcohol doesn't add more depth to beer, in my opinion. There are a **** ton of very enjoyable session ales, specifically IPAs that are bursting with flavor while keeping you on your feet after having a few. Extra carbonation is unnecessary, what is it really masking here? You can taste hops in bigger beers that linger on as well. I don't know if this is necessarily a negative and it sure doesn't have anything to do with making a lower ABV beer more enjoyable. I look at 4.5-5.5% as low ABV, to be clear.

While you most certainly can have an opinion on low ABV beers, I definitely believe I have encountered some session beers that I now tend to reach for over the higher ABV beers. I've even stopped aiming to brew high ABV beers and just brew things that I can enjoy alongside folks who don't have a similar tolerance to me. They seem to be both flavorful and enjoyable.

The options of mashing slightly higher, using a lower attenuating yeast ( I just started to use WY 1272 in an IPA ), and adding things like oats or flaked barley certainly do not hurt if you're seeking better mouthfeel.

are we talking "satisfying" as in enjoyable to drink? Or "satisfying" effects from drinking it?

Most of my beers are 6-7%, but thats just because I've found most of my favorite commercial beers are in that range (IPAs & Saisons). Being low abv doesnt mean a beer is going to be watery or something.

what's your definition of low abv?

most beers i make are <5%. ESBs, porters, milds, etc.

I would say 3% or perhaps even less would qualify as low alcohol.......... something you can drink for refreshment without having to deal with the "buzz"......... Most non alcoholic beverages other than water or coffee are disgusting.................

H.W.

I would say 3% or perhaps even less would qualify as low alcohol.......... something you can drink for refreshment without having to deal with the "buzz"......... Most non alcoholic beverages other than water or coffee are disgusting.................

H.W.

So my first thought was, if you don't want to "deal with the buzz", then just drink something else, or NA beer if you really want beer flavor that bad, but no alcohol.

But on second thought - I do find this idea kind of interesting, but I think for different reasons. There have been plenty of times when hanging out with friends out at the lake, or camping, tailgating, or whatever - when we aspire to "drink all day", but the reality sets in after a few hours and you inevitably end up either crashing, or powering through it and then end up with a horrible hangover the next day+. With a beer with half the alcohol content, it might be easier to maintain the buzz through the afternoon and into the night without crashing, but reduce the hangover effects since you would be drinking more water (due to the watered down beer).

Bah. The whole original post is rubbish.

The OP has obviously never had a proper Bitter, Mild, or Scottish Ale.

My house Mild is 2.7% and my Scottish Light/60 Shilling is 2.5%, and both are absolutely crammed to the hilt with flavor and body, with a pleasant malty sweetness, low bitterness, and no late hopping whatsoever.

And low alcohol beers are best served LOW carbonation at cellar temp. If you carb them too high, it actually thins it out, and they get biting and harsh. Not pleasant. And if they're too cold, well then you're not tasting anything at all.

Please try again when you know what you're talking about. Session beers are nothing new. They've been brewed for a very long time by a whole region of folks who know how to do them very, very well.

boom_zps2yttlbuf.jpg

Cheers! ;)

Lawnmower beer, by definition is low in alcohol, and refreshing.

Carbonation provides a refreshing "bite" to a cold drink...... Carbonating a bit more heavily can make a big difference

I would say 3% or perhaps even less would qualify as low alcohol.......... something you can drink for refreshment without having to deal with the "buzz".........

It appears the beer you are searching for has already been made. It comes in a bright blue can and the company is owned by fancy horses. ;)

And, unless point #1 is done very well, #4 becomes a problem...

My house Mild is 2.7% and my Scottish Light/60 Shilling is 2.5%, and both are absolutely crammed to the hilt with flavor and body, with a pleasant malty sweetness, low bitterness, and no late hopping whatsoever.

And low alcohol beers are best served LOW carbonation at cellar temp. If you carb them too high, it actually thins it out, and they get biting and harsh. Not pleasant. And if they're too cold, well then you're not tasting anything at all.

I agree and disagree with this about equally. I absolutely agree that session british ales are, and can be, delicious. But, if we're on the topic of summer-ish ("lawnmower") beers, I disagree simply because milds/scottish ales aren't my thingin the summer.

Personally, my favorite very low abv style (that coincidentally matches most of the criteria in the OP) is berliner weisse. I had one yesterday (de Garde Bu Weisse) that is a hefty 2.3% and leaves absolutely nothing to be desired. You want hops? Dry hop that sucker. Hop aroma and sour are perfect together. Low abv saisons are great too, but do mash a little higher.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

It appears the beer you are searching for has already been made. It comes in a bright blue can and the company is owned by fancy horses. ;)

And, unless point #1 is done very well, #4 becomes a problem...

I agree and disagree with this about equally. I absolutely agree that session british ales are, and can be, delicious. But, if we're on the topic of summer-ish ("lawnmower") beers, I disagree simply because milds/scottish ales aren't my thingin the summer.

Personally, my favorite very low abv style (that coincidentally matches most of the criteria in the OP) is berliner weisse. I had one yesterday (de Garde Bu Weisse) that is a hefty 2.3% and leaves absolutely nothing to be desired. You want hops? Dry hop that sucker. Hop aroma and sour are perfect together. Low abv saisons are great too, but do mash a little higher.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Well, he seems to be using lawnmower beer and low ABV interchangeably, and the thread title itself explicitly refers to low ABV, not lawnmower. And lawnmower need not be low ABV (although high ABV wouldn't work either unless you're Remmy).

We find ourselves in agreement. I think the OP is confused.

But yes, Berliner Weisse or Petite Saison, or Tafelbier, would all be good suggestions, and would benefit from higher carb. But they still need a gentle touch with the hops, and are all far more likely to be watery if not well brewed.

I'd say all the OP wants is ice cold effervescent Session IPA. Which is fine. But saying there's a lot more options than that. Most of which directly contradict most or all of the original post.

I disagree.
The colder the less you test the ingredients.
Cold for some light lager from BMC , maybe.

Cold for a low ABV English Mild - No way.

Make a low alcohol beer that tastes good.
You can make it thicker than usual, so it's not too thin.

I've had some very nice 3.2% English Milds.

Lawnmower beer, by definition is low in alcohol, and refreshing. The problem is making such a beer really satisfying. Alcohol presence is a big factor in our perception of beer. It adds a compelling flavor element that leaves a low alcohol beer feeling like it is missing something. As a consequence we need to either adjust our tastes, or adjust the beer to be satisfying in other ways. Here are the things I'm finding work for me:

1: Intense hop presence.

An intense hop flavor and aroma of a sort that appeals to you personally, can make a big difference. This means late addition hops or hop bursting, whirlpool, and dry hopping. I like to keep the IBUs on a low ABV (3%) beer down around 30, which makes it a "hoppy" rather than a malty beer. Finding what plays well together in hops is a challenge. I like a balance between fruity and spicy / floral. My favorite summer beer so far uses Mosaic for the backbone, and Willamette to add some "noble character". I Sometimes add some Motueka to broaden the fruit base away from citrus in the passion fruit and stone fruit direction slightly.

Unfortunately many hop oils tend to persist......... Pay attention to which hops are "guilty" of this and avoid them. You want flavor that goes away after you finish it......I don't have any guidelines on this......it's a matter of trial and error.

H.W.

I don't think alcohol plays as big of a role in a lighter beer as you describe but all our pallets are different. Just because a beer is lower in abv doesn't mean it has to have less body or flavor. It's all about mash temps and how well the yeast you're using attenuates. If you get the right combo you can make a very good beer. There's also grains that add body to beer like caraplils for instance or even flaked barley. I find if the abv is too high and there's not enough hop/malt balance it can taste and smell very harsh. It's all about balance within style. With that said, of course, homebrewing is all about pushing the limits of "style" sometimes.

One of my favorite commercial beers I consider lawnmower-ish is Red Stripe. I love the light corn taste and it goes down very smooth since it's a lager. It has body to it and it's just overall what I try to shoot for when I'm brewing my own lawnmower beer. It's very refreshing when I'm working outside on a hot, humid, sticky, summer day.
Now, if we're talking about tailgating, grilling, outdoor concerts, etc, basically not working hard outside, then I like more hops in my beer but still something around 5-6% that I can drink for a few hours and not be totally hammered.

This has been an interesting thread.............. despite being pummeled for my supposed ignorance. I do regard "lawnmower and session" as being very close to the same thing. A session beer, being relatively low alcohol and non filling........ For a beer to be a session beer it must be easy drinking, and not leave you feeling bloated or hammered. The same characteristics apply to lawnmower beer....... add refreshing.

When I spoke of intense hop presence, people tend to interpret it as IPA or high IBUs.... which was not my intent........ I was speaking of using flavors and aromas of hops. There is a vast and exciting array of flavors and aromas that hops can provide. I tend more and more to late addition and whirlpool or dry hopping to capture these. IBUs do not need to be high.

There has been a lot of dispute about the benefits of carbonation.......... Flat beer is particularly unsatisfying... Carbonation contributes a lot.......... You can under or over carbonate. My experience has been that carbonation is pretty important in lower alcohol brews........ I'm not talking about over carbonating. For every beer there is an appropriate level of carbonation.

I was really thinking in terms of "lawnmower" beers..........as far a coldness. Chill makes a beer go down easily.

Clearly everybody has their own take on what makes a good low ABV beer. The ideas exchanged here should be useful. I would love to see a section within recipes that is specific to beers under 4% ABV. It unfortunately is organized by "style", which is fine if you are brewing a specific and well defined style. Perhaps we need to define "session" and "lawnmower"......... It doesn't appear that there really is a "definition".

H.W.

At my age I find I prefer to brew beers that are higher in abv% because I usually only drink 1-3 at any time. Recently I made a smoked porter from an extract kit with specialty grains but missed my OG on the low side (1.039 vs 1.050) and the final abv was 3.5%, making it my lowest abv since I've been brewing.

It has turned out amazing! Very good carbonation and just a hint of smokiness. Great color and mild sweetness with hops lurking in the background.

Initially I was quite disappointed in the numbers but I have been very happy with the outcome and the final product. I may make it a house beer...

Back