How To: False Bottom doesn’t fit the mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerwildered

Finding my way to beer heaven
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a really great 1bbl system from a guy who made it himself. It’s a beautiful system with all the bells and whistles.

However, the one issue I have is that the mash tun isn’t perfectly cylindrical, leaving the perfectly round false bottom with some significant gaps that mess with my efficiency and produce massive channeling.

FE8EAEF0-4781-4E57-BEC2-B84504C934DF.jpeg

What to do?

I noodled on this one for a while before reaching out to NorCal Brewing Solutions (@Jaybird) and after talking with Becky (who knows her brewing equipment stuff!) I got an idea for how to accurately reproduce the irregular shape of my mash tun so that they could laser cut me something that fits with minimal gappage.

Accio hot glue gun and bamboo skewers!

2FB36CDC-990D-4F56-A896-BF81F2529FA0.jpeg

Now I’ve got a perfect template! Hooray for arts and crafts at summer camp.

I'm a cheap bastard...that being said...I'd attempt to split a section of silicone tubing to go around the circumference of the false bottom to make up the difference and provide a "seal" before having something custom fabricated. Best of luck on the new piece. It should work as well.

Back