How many yeast vials?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico.Capy

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm redoing a batch of a SMASH beer that was surprisingly popular (it was only the second solo batch I ever made šŸ˜). I've brought a few slight modifications to the recipe, and I'm now making 29L (7.66 gallons) of beer with a 1.048 estimated OG. I'm using the White Labs Monastery Ale yeast. They recommend one vial for 20L (5 gallons) and an OG of up to 1.048, and 2 vials for 40L (10 gallons). Should I get one or two vials, being between the two values?

Cheers,
Nico

Well. If your going by yeast manufacturers recommendationsā€¦.29 is greater than 20. So two would be the obvious answer.
you could use a yeast calculator and based upon the viability of your yeast pack you might be able to step up with a starter and one pack.

Meh.... it depends on freshness. What's the born on date or best by date? If fresh, you can get by with one pack, with a starter. If more than a few weeks old, consider two packs.... always with a starter.

Back