How long to oxygenate 40 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Doing our first 1bbl batch tomorrow and thinking about oxygenation. Everything I’ve read thus far implies that oxygenation time is directly proportional to batch size. So if I was oxygenating 5 gal for 2 min with pure o2, 40 gal would be 16 min. Is that The case or no? Using the stone on the wand.

Hi everyone. Doing our first 1bbl batch tomorrow and thinking about oxygenation. Everything I’ve read thus far implies that oxygenation time is directly proportional to batch size. So if I was oxygenating 5 gal for 2 min with pure o2, 40 gal would be 16 min. Is that The case or no? Using the stone on the wand.
Do you have a flow meter?
That's really helpful if you want to establish an accurate log to guide you.
They are pretty cheap.
As the pressure changes in the tank, your volume/minute will decrease so just using time alone is not terribly accurate.

I'd say it really depends on the O2 flow rate, the yeast strain and pitching rate. Don't assume you need to scale up linearly either.

Do you have a flow meter?
That's really helpful if you want to establish an accurate log to guide you.
They are pretty cheap.
As the pressure changes in the tank, your volume/minute will decrease so just using time alone is not terribly accurate.
Nope, no flow meter yet. That’s on my list though

Nope, no flow meter yet. That’s on my list though
You can do a rough calculation as you described. It may come out to be slightly less than the small batch but not likely to cause a noticeable difference.

Factors to consider:
  • A taller column of wort will be able to absorb/dissolve more O2 than a shallower one at the same flow rate.
  • Any O2 that didn't get dissolved on its way up will present itself as surface bubbling or rippling.
  • Are you agitating, moving the wand around constantly during oxygenation, or letting it sit in one place for a minute, then moving it to the next for another minute, etc.?
  • Any O2 not absorbed will make the headspace richer in O2, adding oxygenation at the surface, given time.

Back