How long do I bottle condition my blue moon clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSheridan

Reaction score
So on Sunday 12/2, I bottled some blue moon clone that I brewed a couple weeks earlier. My question is how long should I let it condition in the bottle? Is this a style that needs some time, or is it better to drink it once its carbonated?

Let your tongue be your guide.

It probably doesn't need to be aged beyond a week or two. Let bottles chill in the fridge for a few days before drinking.

Cheers

So I popped one open yesterday at the 9 day mark. Nice hiss and a little smoke when I opened it but very little head on the pour and it went flat pretty quickly. They need some more time to fully carbonate. The flavors seems to be right though which is exciting

I used to do two weeks in the bottle and one week in the fridge. So glad I switched to kegging :yes:

Rev.

Sounds like you have a good start and a nice product. More time as stated above or according to preference. Low 70s for carbonating is a nice zone.
Personally, I let them stay at room temperature for as long as I have them and only refrigerate when they're going to be consumed.

Condition about 2-3 weeks at 70F, longer if temp is lower. Cold-crash a couple days before serving, to drive CO2 into solution. Give your bottles another week or so and the pours should have decent head.

I never test one in less than 2 weeks. Some are carbonated others take longer. But ALL of my beers have tasted better at 3 weeks bottle conditioning. I only cool for about 18 - 24 hours for the first one. I usually have at least 6 cooling so some of them are cooled longer. I've never noticed much difference between one cooled for a day or ones cooled for weeks.

Thanks for all of the replies. My lack of patience got the best of me, I just wanted to see how my first all grain brew came out! They'll sit at least another week before I try another one

Next time you bottle a batch, include one 12oz twist top soda bottle in the mix.
When that bottle gets too hard to squeeze your beer is ready for cold conditioning...

Cheers!

Ok so its been 3 weeks since I bottled. They are carbonated but go flat pretty quickly, not much head on them. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I underprimed. I added 1.6oz of corn sugar for a 2 gallon batch. Maybe they just need another week or 2?

Ok so its been 3 weeks since I bottled. They are carbonated but go flat pretty quickly, not much head on them. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I underprimed. I added 1.6oz of corn sugar for a 2 gallon batch. Maybe they just need another week or 2?

I use 5 oz in 2 cups boiling waterfor 5 gallon batch. You may have been better off with 2 oz .

1.6oz corn sugar in 2 gal is about 2.2 vol CO2 (assuming 70°F), definitely on the low side.

A witbier should be 2.5-3.0 vol, noticeably higher.

Thanks for the insight. They turned out ok after ~4 weeks in the bottle but I'm going to add more priming sugar next time

Back