How do I know what yeast to use??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i_heart_hops

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

This may already be on here somewhere, I couldn't find anything...anyway, I am totally new to brewing (brewed, bottled, and enjoyed a Kolsch style and have a honey vanilla cream ale in the secondary) and I have only used kits thus far where everything is in it...when I am ready to venture out of my kit-comfort-zone, how in the world to I know what yeast to use to get good results for each style of beer, or how do I even know what yeast to try if I want to be bold and try to create something new?? Is there anywhere that its sort of layed out what yeast is good for what, or what yeast will get you what flavors?? Someone please help the newb!!

Thank you!

with yeast, the sky is the limits. there are endless possibilities. But to get started, you could go wyeast web site. They have a detailed explanation on what you can expect from the yeast, and also a list of different styles the yeast works well with. I tend to use us-04 and us-05 a lot. They can be used on virtually any brew. us-05 I really like for ipas and ciders.

Latest posts

Back