Hops did not get all that big. Normal ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyb15

Reaction score
First year growing hops (southwest ohio). I bought the plants from Great Lakes Hops, 2 Cascade, 2 Centennial, 2 Chinook, and 1 Magnum. Planted in early spring. I made the ropes about 19' tall. The Cascades both grew about 17-18' and have pretty much quit there. They both have hops on them now (as seen in the one picture.). 1 of the Chinooks is about the same, but the remainder of the plants only grew about 6-8' tall. Magnum has no buds yet, and it looks like the centennials are finally starting. Just curious if they should have grown more? I did no fertilization, and with the rain we had this year, i barely watered. They all get pretty much full sun till 6 or 7 when a tree shadow comes in. I have heard first year hops dont do as well, but since i did not plant rhizomes thought it might be different.
Thoughts?

IMG_4319.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg

First year plants can vary. My cascade last year from GLH only made it to 8-10 feet. This year it pushed 20-25 feet. Last year I got about 5 dry oz. off of it, and this year I fully expect a good dry pound. My chinook on the other hand grew 25 feet both last year and this year and will give me over a pound this year. Last year was 17 dry oz.

Your plants were likely establishing strong deep roots. Next year they will probably exceed your trellis.

Agreed on evaluation of varying growth within the first year. Questions on what I can see from the photo is do you have suitable mounding around each crown (a good sizeable hill of dirt is recommended) and also, have you made efforts to remove the grass and clover from around your hops? Even without water and providing no fertilizer, you should remove elements that take away nutrients from the soil immediately around your hops. Those "sky" and ground running (natural tree leaf decay) nutrients that are really going to the grass etc. aren't feeding as much to your hops and thus could be one level of stunting experienced. Using good sizeabe mounds around your crowns not only help in over wintering, but also hold the water and nutrients below the soil throughout the growing season. You might consider (sounds like you want to go green and avoiding any ptentially harmful fertilizers/chemicals) at least some level of good organic compost ($1-3 per bag) as a good investment on the return of quality yield. If you have sandy or loamy soil, chances are you'd need to amend the dirt with something else to maintain a good shot at growth each year. No need to go overboard, but just don't expect the hops to simply grow awesome on their own consistenty 20 feet every year and produce a pound or better without helping them along. Strong roots also help somewhat against disease susceptibility and potential for possible deadly winter kill (even in Ohio). This winter (farmers almanac) is going to be a harsh one. I'd rather be wrong than without those nice varieties in the coming years. Take care and keep it green! ;)

No need to go overboard, but just don't expect the hops to simply grow awesome on their own consistenty 20 feet every year and produce a pound or better without helping them along.

No doubt. I am always tending to the plants. They receive multiple fertilizer treatments and regular weeding.

Those are way better than my first year growing hops. next year should be taller and all plants produce some, 3rd pretty good and 4th should be jackpot. Mine I think reached full potential in the 4th year and have been consistent. Those will be nice to supplement a little, soon you will be doing super hoppy DIPAs with your own hops.

Agreed on evaluation of varying growth within the first year. Questions on what I can see from the photo is do you have suitable mounding around each crown (a good sizeable hill of dirt is recommended) and also, have you made efforts to remove the grass and clover from around your hops? Even without water and providing no fertilizer, you should remove elements that take away nutrients from the soil immediately around your hops. Those "sky" and ground running (natural tree leaf decay) nutrients that are really going to the grass etc. aren't feeding as much to your hops and thus could be one level of stunting experienced. Using good sizeabe mounds around your crowns not only help in over wintering, but also hold the water and nutrients below the soil throughout the growing season. You might consider (sounds like you want to go green and avoiding any ptentially harmful fertilizers/chemicals) at least some level of good organic compost ($1-3 per bag) as a good investment on the return of quality yield. If you have sandy or loamy soil, chances are you'd need to amend the dirt with something else to maintain a good shot at growth each year. No need to go overboard, but just don't expect the hops to simply grow awesome on their own consistenty 20 feet every year and produce a pound or better without helping them along. Strong roots also help somewhat against disease susceptibility and potential for possible deadly winter kill (even in Ohio). This winter (farmers almanac) is going to be a harsh one. I'd rather be wrong than without those nice varieties in the coming years. Take care and keep it green! ;)

Hehe, yeah, its been a little hard for me to keep up. I have about 6 acres, 4 acres of grass to maintain, and the house was completely gutted two years ago (thought it would be fun to buy a fixer upper) so spend alot of my time working on the house. Slowly getting to the outside now, so hoping to have a nice garden next spring to go along with the hops. Also trying to find time to build a compost bin. At any rate, i originally had about a 2' circle cleared around the plants. Its come in a little, and i try and keep the rest mowed, but maybe ill just take out all of the grass/clover/weeds in that area for next year. I dont have any mounds, i thought i would be okay since the area drains well and is on a slight slope, but sounds like it might be important to do. Would i be okay adding some compost over the plants after i cut them down? Thanks for the replies everyone!

Back