Hopping my Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my first barley wine here in about a week (hopefully) when the hops get delivered. I recently ordered 3 lbs of leaf hops from hopsdirect.com and would like to use these for the brew.
I got: 1lb Citra, 1lb East Kent Goldings, and 1lb Nugget.

Anyone have any idea as to how I could use all three of these for the barley wine?

Here's the grain bill.

6lb 2oz Golden Promise
6lb 1oz Marris Otter
4lb 3oz Munich
0lb 8oz Special B
0lb 4oz Jaggery

I calculated the OG at 1.110 for 4 gallons(BeerCalculus gave me 1.100 when I typed it in). Even though its only going into a 3 gallon carboy. I just want to make sure that I yield a good amount for a beer that won't be ready until it gets cold again. Plus I plan on doing a second runnings 1 gallon batch with some extra malt that I bought.

I also have about 3.5 oz of Willamette leaf hops at my disposal. And on top of that I have 4 oz Saaz, 2 oz EKG, and 2 Styrian Goldings in pellet form. But to be honest I'd like to keep the pellets out of this. The whole reason that I'm ordering from hops direct is because all the HBS's have is pellet hops and I'm over the sludge that it makes.

I would like this to be a hoppy beer. Kind of want to mess around with dry hopping and FWH as well. Since this is my first BW and I'm still relatively new to brewing I wanted to see what others think might be a good hop schedule. Any input appreciated!

Sorry for the long post.

If you want to use all 3, I'd probably do something along the lines of:
FWH with Nugget and/or EKG to 70-100 IBUs
1-2oz Nugget and/or EKG @15
Dry hop with 3+oz Citra at the end of a long bulk age

Latest posts

Back