Hop Spider for BrewersHardware 20gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irish_brewer

Reaction score
I've had some fun issues lately clogging my counter flow chiller and pump when using a large amount of hops or some other additions in the boil such as orange peel. I've seen lots of discussion around using hop spiders to help with these issues, but never with these large BH kettles. I measured and it's just a bit over 24 inches from the top to the bottom of the kettle with about 7 1/2 inches from the wall to the bottom element (I brew electric). Since I have done anywhere from 5 - 15 gallon batches I am looking to purchase a hop spider that would cover all batch sizes. To me that seems like I should go with something like a 23 inch x 6 inch monster with 300 micron mesh. I could go smaller so it fit over the element but figure I want the most contact with the wort possible when brewing 5 gal test batches.

Has anyone else with these kettles or similarly sized ones gone down this path? What is the best place to get something like this? I've checked utahbiodieselsupply and arborfab and I'd have to get something custom from either place.

Any input is appreciated!

Back