Hop Adjustment In West Coast Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
OK so I ordered a pale ale kit I found to be interesting. It calls for 6oz of dry hopping. I am on the side that thinks you can never dry hop with to much :)

But now that I'm really looking at this kit I'm thinking I can really get the aroma I want with 4 ounces.

I have OCD and can never brew a kit as the original recipe states. Always have to tinker.

I'm thinking of pulling out 1 ounce of cascade and 1 ounce of glacier of the dry hop and throwing those 2 ounces in at flame out.

Below is the recipe:

.25lb Caramel 20L Steep 20 Minutes at 155F
6lb Gold DME 60 minute boil
1oz Northern Brewer hops 60 minute boil
1oz Centennial hops 5 minute boil
2oz Cascade hops Dry hop 5-7 days
2oz Glacier hops Dry hop 5-7 days
1oz Crystal hops Dry hop 5-7 days
1oz Ahtanum hops Dry hop 5-7 days

Wondering what your opinions are on this?

Leave as the original recipe is? Or maybe switch some stuff up?

IDK, I have never dry hopped with more than 4 ounces so I don't think you will lose much, if anything, by your plan. The only thing I know is that it will be slightly different.

I wouldn't call you problem OCD. If it was that I would think you would have to do the recipe exactly as written. I think you are OCT. Obsessive Compulsive Tinkerer.

IDK, I have never dry hopped with more than 4 ounces so I don't think you will lose much, if anything, by your plan. The only thing I know is that it will be slightly different.

I wouldn't call you problem OCD. If it was that I would think you would have to do the recipe exactly as written. I think you are OCT. Obsessive Compulsive Tinkerer.

Lol.....Obsessive Compulsive Tinkerer. I like this. May have to steal it.

Back