Home brewing with my children

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The laws are different in every state and country. Many allow children to be part of the brewing process but not the tasting. While others allow the tasting while at home with the parents present. The practice of brewing with children in many states and countries is also covered under cultural and religious allowances. Your best bet would be to check your state laws and cultural history.

I have made my children help through the entire process. It takes longer than a TikTok and it isn't as funny as YouTube, so I think of it as Character-Building. Sometimes, though, they will take the alternatives offered, like sweeping up all the leaves or doing the laundry, or mopping the floor.
Dr Evil.jpeg

I try to explain the scientific processes involved. Why does soaking grain in hot water make the water sweet (aka wort). Why does running the wort thru a coil that is in a cool water bath heat the water and cool the wort. Why does the yeast change the sweet liquid to alcohol and produce CO2. ….

I try to explain the scientific processes involved. Why does soaking grain in hot water make the water sweet (aka wort). Why does running the wort thru a coil that is in a cool water bath heat the water and cool the wort. Why does the yeast change the sweet liquid to alcohol and produce CO2. ….
Try the response, "It's magic."

My youngest boy helped me brew beer many times. He put that (and cheesemaking) on his medical school applications, and also his personal statements for residency at the end of med school. Almost every interviewer asked him specifically about these things - he said they were very interested to know about it.

I have made my children help through the entire process. It takes longer than a TikTok and it isn't as funny as YouTube, so I think of it as Character-Building. Sometimes, though, they will take the alternatives offered, like sweeping up all the leaves or doing the laundry, or mopping the floor.
View attachment 811175
Diabolical 😀

Back