Hill Country brew pubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter_le five

Sheriff Underscore
Reaction score
Saturday morning I hopped on my Harley and headed towards Burnet, TX to visit my parents and help them out with some heavy lifting. I was passing by a couple brew-pubs on the way, so I figured I'd stop and check them out. Why waste a good opportunity to try some new brews?

I hit each one twice; once each on the way there, and again on the way back. I wanted to make sure I got to try as many of their beers as possible without being too tipsy to ride. :drunk:

First up was Pecan Street Brewing in Johnson City, TX. Tucked off of Main Street in the downtown square, this brewpub looks like a typical old-world downtown diner or cafe, but sitting at the bar you are treated to a nice view of their in-house brewery. The brewer wan't present so I didn't get to pester him with questions, but it looks to my untrained eye to be about a 5-7bbl system, and they had 7 different house beers on tap to try, as well as a couple other Texas-brewery guest taps.

I started off with a pint of Ten Penny Nail, a smooth malty Scotch Ale, and washed it down with the hickory burger and fries (both excellent). On the way back, I had the Johnson City Lager, a light amber of some sort (Vienna lager, perhaps?). It was a little sweet for my tastes, but still good. I would gladly go back just for the Ten Penny Nail, if not to try the other selections.

PSfront-520x331.jpg

PSbar-520x390.jpg

Photos courtesy of Way Out West Austin

About 25 miles up the road or so, I stopped in Marble Falls at Double Horn Brewing. I was still full from the burger and fries at the last brewpub, so when I walked in this time it was straight to business. Just beer, no futzing about with time-wasters like "food". I sat at the bar, and was a bit disappointed that there was no view of the works this time. From all appearances, it was just your typical craft beer bar, with a row of taps, a couple televisions, and two large chalkboards declaring the IBUs and ABVs and pedigree of everything they served. The pretty, heavily-tattooed blonde behind the bar assured me there was in fact a brewery on premise, but you had to sit in the main dining room to see it. I resolved to take a quick peek on my way out.

I ordered the Over/Under Amber ale. It came out of the tap murky, and I was expecting to taste yeast or sediment by the appearance of it. It was actually very crisp and clean tasting, with slight citrus notes, so I'll chalk it up to an especially bad case of chill-haze. Visually, it reminded me more of a beginner's early attempt at homebrew, having not yet learned how to clarify their beer, but at least taste-wise it was perfectly good. On the way back, I had the Güero, a light-golden wheat ale of an unspecified style. I'm not normally a fan of blonde ales or wheat ales, but this one was very pleasant, and quite refreshing after an afternoon of lugging around large chunks of granite and riding motorcycles in the hot sun. Again, the beer was quite cloudy, but not surprising (this time) being a wheat ale. Unfortunately, the hot blonde bartender was no longer in attendance this time around.

dhbar.jpg

tanks-520x390.jpg

dhfront.jpg

Photos courtesy of Way Out West Austin

I was also passing through Blanco and wanted to stop at Real Ale Brewing Company, of which I am a huge fan, but apparently their tap room is only open on Fridays, so I'll have to save that one for another day (a Friday, to be specific).

As for Pecan Street and Double Horn, I plan on stopping by both next time I'm in the area. They are worth the return visit.

Nice write up. There's also Fredericksburg Brewing Co. in (duh) Fredericksburg. I think they're one of the older brewpubs in Texas. I wanted to check out Pecan Street last time I was out in the Hill Country but wasn't able to.

Nice! Been to double horn, the beer is pretty good, food is ok. Didn't know about Johnson city.
Op, are you from Burnet? Grew up in the area myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nah, I grew up in east Texas, but eventually moved out here to NB for work. My parents just bought a home out in Burnet for when they decide to retire. Very pretty area.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Great review. I drive by Double Horn often on the way to Buchanan but always have my young kids with me so never stop. Looks like a real nice setup from the outside. I hope to check it out one of these days.

I talked SWMBO into agreeing to ride out to Pecan Street Brewing with me tomorrow for lunch before we head on out to see Pedernales Falls. Can't wait to try a few more brews.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My Sis in law and her husband just moved out to Marble Falls, so I should have a chance to visit Double Horn much more often.
Plus, he's an engineer, and I need to put him to work on a brew stand/system!

Got to try a whole flight today at lunch (all 7 currently-available house beers) at Pecan Street Brewing.

1. Blonde ale - a solid beer, if unremarkable. But then again, I feel that way about 99% of blonde ales I've ever tried. Good thirst quenchers but never exciting.

2. Wheat ale - same as the blonde. Good, but nothing that will knock your socks off, but again I feel that way about most of your generic wheat beers.

3. Scotch ale - just as good as I remembered it. Malty and smooth.

4. Pale Ale - this one threw me for a loop. Was expecting a hoppy PA, but the dominant flavor was spicy rye. Had I read the descriptions before tasting, that wouldn't have been an issue I guess... But I don't understand why they don't just include the word "rye" somewhere in the name, considering that the rye is the star of the show here. As far as rye ales go it was pretty good, though I'm not a huge fan of the style.

5. Porter - definitely one of my favorites from this particular brewpub. Very solid porter.

6. Red ale - another one of my favorites. Very hoppy in flavor and aroma without being overly bitter. It had a wonderful piney taste that I prefer over citrus-forward hops. Next time I'll probably get a growler of this one, if it's on tap.

7. IPA - good, but very bitter, perhaps a bit much so for my liking. Kind of a palate wrecker for me too, which is why I'm glad I saved it for last. This is something I would enjoy if I was to only drink one glass of beer, as I would not want to drink a second one afterward.

The (Vienna?) lager was not on tap today, which is fine, because out of everything I've tried so far, it was probably my least favorite, though not to say it was bad.

Looking forward to my next visit, whenever that may be.

SWMBO was in good spirits on the way up there and at the brewpub, but got very grouchy on the way home due to it being hot as balls outside today (especially on the back of a motorcycle), so I highly doubt she will be accompanying me next time.

For what it's worth, though, here are her tasting notes:

1. Blonde ale - ew

2. Wheat ale - this one's cloudy, I'm not putting that in my mouth

3. Scotch ale - gross

4. Pale ale - blech

5. Porter - well it smells nice. But no, I'm not touching that.

6. Red ale - get that out of my face, I'm not doing this anymore.

7. IPA - oh god, what is that? It's so bitter! Why would you do that to me?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I was at Double Horn a few weekends ago coming back from a river trip. They're beer was ok at best, but they did have a decent amount of other Austin area beers, like the Real Ale 18th Anniversary Gose.

I've only been to Pecan Street Brewing once a couple of years ago but I remember having a Porter that was excellent. I need to go back and try all their brews.

Back