Help with Hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romex2121

Reaction score
I recently emailed a brewery here in NM that make a Blonde Ale (1888) they sell in stores around here asking for hints of what they use , I really didn’t expect to hear anything back but they sent me the entire recipe , I was shocked that they did that ,, keep in mind the brew sheet is for 1,700 pounds of grain and 20+ pounds of hops .. lol..
I’ve got the grains worked out for a 3 ta 5 gal. Brew but the two hops I’m unsure of It had The amounts but no schedule,
the blonde is 4.8 abv and 20 IBU,
hops are Crystal and Cascade
it’s showing the crystal as first hop addition at like 18 pounds and cascade as the second addition at 7 pounds or so ,,, How do I break this down and work out a hop schedule to my smaller needs ??
Beer is balanced with good clean hop flavor but not bitter if that helps.......

Maybe you should post what it says on the recipe they sent. First and second would denote the order they are added the way you describe it here. But maybe that’s just the order they entered them into the recipe and not necessarily the order/timing/sched of the hop additions. Or the recipe lists by amount, biggest to smallest. Make sense?

in any case, sounds like most of it is crystal, so figure that’s gonna be a small bittering charge, then some at 10, then 5, keeping amounts low enough to stay at 20ibus. The rest into dry hop. Maybe cascade is only in dry hop. myabe someone familiar with the beer can chime in here. Good luck

Just got a response from the brewer who sent me the recipe saying all hops are added at whirlpool ..

Back