Help with electric brewing retrofit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanic_brew

Reaction score
I am trying to switch from propane to electric to cut down on the amount of travel up and down a set of steps that aren't built to code and I'm sure are gonna result in my death.

Currently I am transporting my HLT, BK, MLT, burner, and all the small accessories up and down each brew day. (I know there's a door here in the picture below, but I'm unable to brew out this area of the house)

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1503318066.664889.jpg

This is my current brewing storage and fermentation area, below is a three bay fermentation chest cold air forced from freezer side of a fridge to the right.

My hope is to be able to use the stainless top on the fermentation chest as a place to house a one tier brewing setup utilizing a couple pumps. I already have a pex pipe supplying water to this area and could setup a drain since the kitchen upstairs drains through a pipe in the wall behind the fermentation chest.

I would heat water in HLT on the left, pump it into my MLT, probably recirculate with a pump before draining into the boil kettle.

The plan would be to remove the brewing storage shelf above the fermentation chest and relocate it in the brew room. Then I'll install a nice range hood nearly the size of the fermentation chest that I can easily vent out a boarded up window behind the shelf.

I have certified electrician to wire everything in for me. My only concerns are of course about fire safety.

I will be fireproofing the wall behind the brew area. But it's the layers underneath the stainless steel top of the fermentation chest that have me concerned. From top to bottom it's stainless > 5/8 furniture grade particleboard > 2" SM rigid foam insulation.

I haven't decided if I'm going to go the Electric Kettle way or an induction burner. What would some of you suggest with this setup keeping fire hazards and combustible materials in mind.

Thanks

with either a element in your kettle or using induction the fire risk is non existent if everything is properly wired. They wall behind your stove isn't a special fireproof material. Your main concern brewing in that location is going to be venting which with that window you mentioned you'll be in good shape.

with either a element in your kettle or using induction the fire risk is non existent if everything is properly wired. They wall behind your stove isn't a special fireproof material. Your main concern brewing in that location is going to be venting which with that window you mentioned you'll be in good shape.

Thanks for the input!

I agree completely. Venting the steam and a floor drain would be my concern. That's why don't brew in my basement.

Heat generated during electric brewing is relatively low compared to open flame from a burner. Electric elements covered with liquid won't get hotter than 212 degrees, nor will any surrounding surfaces.

Compare that with an open flame from a gas or propane burner which can be 4 or 5 times as hot.

The only caveat is that an exposed element in a kettle, (ie not covered with liquid) can get much hotter.

Even an exposed element is quite a bit safer since it will be in a kettle or rims tube. An exposed element will also overheat and pop relatively quickly which makes them quite a bit safer than an open flame burner.

Key safety principles with electric brewing gear is using the correct size of wiring and and protecting the wiring with the correct size of circuit breakers.

Protect the wiring and connections from mechanical and/or water damage by using conduit and good design practices.

Use GFCI to protect people using the brew gear. GFCI is not intended to protect the equipment.

Heat generated during electric brewing is relatively low compared to open flame from a burner. Electric elements covered with liquid won't get hotter than 212 degrees, nor will any surrounding surfaces.

Compare that with an open flame from a gas or propane burner which can be 4 or 5 times as hot.

The only caveat is that an exposed element in a kettle, (ie not covered with liquid) can get much hotter.

Even an exposed element is quite a bit safer since it will be in a kettle or rims tube. An exposed element will also overheat and pop relatively quickly which makes them quite a bit safer than an open flame burner.

Key safety principles with electric brewing gear is using the correct size of wiring and and protecting the wiring with the correct size of circuit breakers.

Protect the wiring and connections from mechanical and/or water damage by using conduit and good design practices.

Use GFCI to protect people using the brew gear. GFCI is not intended to protect the equipment.

Thanks! I'm gonna be having a few great electricians to look over my process and help me(actually they'll be doing it) with the wiring. As much as I would like to pay them to do the whole setup for me it's best that I understand how it's wired.

My mind is at ease about the safety side of it. Thanks!

The build will go ahead in October

Back