Help with competition category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtk78

I'm here for the beer!
Reaction score
I am entering a couple upcoming competitions, which will be a first for me. I have 3 beers that will get entered. One is an American Pale Ale, so no problems there.

Another is a pumpkin beer, and I'm wondering which category I should enter that in?

Last is a Rye IPA. I am trying to enter this beer online, and here is the notes from Category 21B Specialty IPA on the registration page:
"Entrant MUST specify a strength (session: 3.0-5.0%, standard: 5.0-7.5%, double: 7.5-9.5%); if no strength is specified, standard will be assumed. This subcategory is a catch-all for entries that DO NOT fit into one of the defined BJCP Specialty IPA types: Black IPA, Brown IPA, White IPA, Rye IPA, Belgian IPA, or Red IPA. Entrant must describe the type of Specialty IPA and its key characteristics in comment form so judges will know what to expect. Entrants MAY specify (using the Optional Info field below) specific hop varieties used, if entrants feel that judges may not recognize the varietal characteristics of newer hops. Entrants MAY specify (using the Optional Info field below) a combination of defined IPA types (e.g., Black Rye IPA) without providing additional descriptions. Entrants may use this category for a different strength version of an IPA defined by its own BJCP subcategory (e.g., session-strength American or English IPA) - except where an existing BJCP subcategory already exists for that style (e.g., double [American] IPA). If the entry falls into one of the currently defined types (Black IPA, Brown IPA, White IPA, Rye IPA, Belgian IPA, Red IPA), it should be entered into that salient subcategory type."

I looked in the available categories, and see nothing for Rye IPA. IF I enter it here, am I making a mistake? The bold scares me. I don't see a salient subcategory, although there is a comments area that I could define this. It also asks for some additional info. Just don't want to shoot myself in the foot for entering it int the wrong category.

Thanks in advance. :mug:

The pumpkin beer is in the spice/veg/herb category.

For the rye IPA, if there is a rye flavor it should be entered as 21B:

Entry Instructions: Entrant must specify a strength
(session, standard, double); if no strength is specified, standard
will be assumed. Entrant must specify specific type of
Specialty IPA from the library of known types listed in the Style
Guidelines, or as amended by the BJCP web site; or the entrant
must describe the type of Specialty IPA and its key
characteristics in comment form so judges will know what to
expect. Entrants may specify specific hop varieties used, if
entrants feel that judges may not recognize the varietal
characteristics of newer hops. Entrants may specify a
combination of defined IPA types (e.g., Black Rye IPA)
without providing additional descriptions. Entrants may use
this category for a different strength version of an IPA defined
by its own BJCP subcategory (e.g., session-strength American
or English IPA) – except where an existing BJCP subcategory
already exists for that style (e.g., double [American] IPA).
Currently Defined Types: Black IPA, Brown IPA, White
IPA, Rye IPA, Belgian IPA, Red IPA

Thanks Yooper. I'll enter it in 21B, fill in the info it's asking, and specify it's a rye IPA in the comment section.

Thank God It's Rye Day!!

Latest posts

Back