Help my price out my system please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
Hello fellow home brewers I'm looking for some guidance in pricing out my system.

I may be putting it up for sell within the next month. You might wonder why the hell would I want to sell my brewing gear, well I'll tell you. My very lovely swmbo is going to start school this fall.

She is going back to get her bachelors so that she can eventually go to law school.

Now what I want to do is get her a new Mac laptop. I know what you're thinking. You're going to sell your **** just to get her a laptop????

Yeah I am, eventually I'll be able to rebuild my whole set up even better but for now I'm willing to make the sacrifice.

Ok so here's what I have

13 gallon square igloo cooler mash tun.

11 gallon bayou classic no spigot

Bayou sq14

Camp chef dual burner set up each burner puts out about 30,000 btu was ment to be used in a single tier build.

1 propane tank

I have a 25 ft copper wort chiller with garden hose attachments

A cerial killer

Yeastir stir plate

2l flask and stir bar

5 cu chest freezer with ink bird temp controller I will build and add the collar to allow it to fit 2 6.5 gallon buckets.

I have two hydrometers

Hydrometers test tube

Digital and dial thermometers

Brewing salts campden tablets about 12 oz of star San 1 lb of pbw

2 6.5 gallon buckets with lids and various airlocks both s style and 3 piece

Auto siphon and transfer tubbing

Kegerator with perlick flow control faucet 10 ft of silver barrier beer tubbing 1 ball lock keg 5 lb co2 tank. will have it filled prior to the sale. The fridge it's self will fit two kegs and the tank.

A few extra sets of o rings

Ranco temp controller for the kegerator.

Red Barron and black wing cappers.

I believe that's it. What I was thinking would be a fair price would be 1000$ for all of it. I would love anyone's opinion. Cheers and thanks.

You're probably already aware of this, but just in case, Apple offer student discounts on most of their laptop range (or at least, they do in the UK).

Skip the Apple laptop, they are overpriced and a hassle to change the battery. My Dell laptop cost $349, works fine and you could use it to write as many law documents as any Apple computer. She may not get into law school anyway so just keep on brewing.
But to answer your question about pricing, I don't buy used stuff unless it is priced 50% or lower than the new price. There are exceptions to this of course, but that is my general rule. So just figure the new price of everything and cut it in half and it will sell.

Honestly? At $1k you are *way* over the mark. Closer to $500 would be right. Not trying to discourage you, just offering some advice.

Keep your gear, forget the apple, and put a more affordable laptop on a credit card and pay it off as fast as possible.

You've got about $300 worth in the MLT/kettle/burner/chiller/propane tank/ hydrometer/stir plate/etc brewing gear, more or less.

Kegerator with one faucet, maybe $75 as is- but if you find someone who is happy with one faucet you could get more.

The chest freezer may be worth $100 to someone.

I know more is invested, but most people buying equipment either want their own to start with, or already have most of that stuff.

Latest posts

Back