Help! My keg froze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttaffe

Reaction score
So I have my keg fridge out in the garage, and I live in MN. It's cold here. I do have my beer fridge rigged with a "heating element" in the form of a 75 watt light bulb that is always on inside the fridge that keeps it warm enough to prevent freezing. The problem is last week the bulb burnt out, and I didn't catch it right away. The temp was below zero for several nights in a row here, and I found that my keg partially froze. The beer line was frozen, and it sounded like a slushy inside when I shook it around. I brought it in and thawed it overnight, and I hoped all was good. But now it turns out whenever I try to poor a glass from this keg, it only dispenses foam at a very slow rate. Any idea what could have happened? It's almost like it's way over-carbonated, but doesn't poor fast. I have my pressure set at about 8psi.
Any help would be great!!!

It is overcarbed. The lower the temp of the beer, the easier CO2 can enter into solution. When it got really cold, that allowed the beer to take on more carbonation even though the CO2 pressure from the reg never changed. You'll need to vent the PR valve a few times over a day or two to bring it back down to where it was. I've had the same thing happen a few times.

I have the same problem, hang a trouble light off the beer line for half hour, you should be good after that.

Latest posts

Back