Help me with first time recipe creation, going for alaskan amber with twist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clavalla

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning on trying my own skills at recipe creation for the first time with my next brew. I do extract brews so this follows that. I'm hoping for any input anyone can give as I am still a new brewer and will take any advice possible. I know this maybe ambitious but I didn't feel like just doing a smash for my first brew, so I dreamed this up as a recipe to tinker with until I get it just right and learn along the way as I keep brewing and dialing it in.

So one of my favorite beers when I was in Alaska was Alaskan Amber, but I want an Alaskan Amber that has the hops profile of...evergreeny/resiny/woodsy scent if that makes sense. Something that is filling and full flavored that you could drink in the fall or with wild game. After searching and reading a bunch of other clone recipes this is what I have came up with. I need some other help with the hops additions because I am not well versed and from what I've read the hops I have later for aroma and flavor have a resiny/woodsy character, but I'd like some more input from people that have used them. Another hop I thought about using was Simcoe. So help a brewer out :mug:

Some of the posts and reviews of these clones I used to get to this recipe are: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27801
http://byo.com/german-amber-lager/item/117-alaskan-brewing-cos-alaskan-amber-clone

Steeping Grains: 155 degrees for 20 min
1# Caramel Malt - 120L
1# Crystal 75, 2 row

Boil Ingredients: 60 min at rolling boil
1# LDE
3.15 # - Northern Brewer Marris otter LME
3.15 # - NB Super Structure LME

Hops Profile:
60 min - .5 oz Cascade
10 min - .5 oz Northern Brewer
2 min - .5 oz Admiral

Yeast:
White Labs- WLP 029
68 degrees for 10 days, then move to 38-40 for cold conditioning for 14 days

Beer Smith Profile vs. Alaskan Amber profile
1.056 est OG 1.054
19.4 IBU 18 IBU
20.9 SRM 22 SRM
5.5% ABV 5.2% ABV

Thanks for any comments or suggestions on this.

EDIT: BTW I had to add the NB LME into Beer Smith because they weren't there. So you probably can't duplicate this to check it unless you add those ingredients as well.

Back