Help, Imperial IPA only 1 Yeast Pack.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay I have a couple questions so I'll try to ask as simply as possible.
So I am brewing my own Imperial IPA. I have made it before in a 1 gallon batch and it worked really well so I wanted to do my first full 5 gallon batch. I ordered all my ingredients and yeast. Now I'll be brewing this on Saturday but the problem is after I ordered, I read my yeast pitch calculator (I Spaced it off before...) Now since this is a larger batch and around 11% ABV It says I need 57 billion more yeast cells, so to either add more yeast or to make a starter. (I'm using Safale US-05 dry yeast by the way) Now here is where my question is. My Brewing equipment at the moment is only enough to boil 3 Gallons at most. So I have to boil twice no matter what. Why cant I make a 2.5 gallon batch let that act as the starter then add the other 2.5 gallons at a later time? I'm a newb but it sounds like it would work... If you think it would work how long should I let the first batch go before I add the second half to the fermenter?

Thanks Guys I really appreciate it. I hope my questions weren't confusing. - Jordan

The problem you'll run into is that even though you are doing a split batch, each batch will still be high in gravity. The idea with a starter is to have something around 1.045 that won't stress the yeast out and allow them to quickly grow. That being said, starting with 2.5 gallons of 1.100 wort is going to be better than 5 gallons of it.

If you can't make a starter before you brew it or get an additional package of yeast, then I think your best bet is to pitch into the 2.5 gallons and then add the rest like half way through fermentation. If you can get an additional sachet of yeast, I'd still do the 2.5 gallons first but pitch both packets.

Well... I was just being lazy, but I do want a good quality beer so I'll just make a real starter. Thanks!

Back