Hat tip from New Hampshire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhbubba

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been lurking for a few weeks now.

Big thanks to everyone that posts on this forum, particularly regarding the DIY projects. I have been reading a lot of threads about fermentation chambers, temperature control, keggerators and keezers, even electric brewing systems.

I dig toys. :mug:

I started brewing a month or two ago. I have been meaning to get into home brewing for years, but never seemed to make the time or effort. I have a couple friends that have been doing this successfully for years. Finally a co-worker volunteered to lend me his brewing setup for a few months. He recently moved and wasn't using the gear. That removed the last excuse and I've taken the plunge.

I have my 3rd batch in the fermenter now. So far I have done pretty simple extract batches from my LHBS. There is a really great LHBS (Jaspers in Nashua, NH) on my way home from work that sells what I think are pretty fresh extract recipes. I believe they developed most of their recipes themselves. I am very happy with the results so far.

First batch was Nut Case Brown Ale. It went very well. So well I have another extract kit waiting to be brewed.

Second batch was Firecracker Red Ale. I just unhooked the first couple bottle tops of this over the xmas holiday. Not nearly as clear/good looking as the Brown, but a smoother taste. I think it may need to age a bit more. I'm impatient, anxious to git drinkin'.

Third batch is in the fermenter now. Old Nebbencracker Spiced Holiday Ale.. or some such. Supposed to be a variation on Sam's Old Fezziwig. A little late for the holidays. But it'll get drunk. That's going into bottles this weekend, hopefully.

As I say, huge thanks to all for the DIY threads.

I bought a kegging setup as a little xmas gift to myself. :D This spring I intend to build a keezer. I have some ideas floating around.

I have been sweating the fermentation process a lot. At first I thought I'd just toss the buckets into the basement. Unfortunately I found the basement temps have dipped into the 50's this winter. Not happy with that. Last night I finished a temperature controller based around the ubiquitous STC-1000 controller. I happen to have an old fridge in the basement. I tossed a cheap compact space heater into the fridge with the bucket hooked to the controller. So far I think this is just what I needed.

Also bought some copper tube to build myself an immersion wort cooler. I am excited to give that a shot soon.

20131031_184650.jpg

20131128_112038.jpg

Welcome to the insanity! :D Enjoy! I find I prefer kegging as well. I'm just using a freezer with a thermostatically controlled outlet to turn the freezer on and off. It works, but I probably ought to use an STC-1000 or something hard-wired in. :)

Jasper's is great! I am on the Seacoast of NH and it was a bit before we got a LHBS. Not sure what's available for brew clubs down your way, but definitely find one and " tap into" that resource. When you share your brews with other brewers it's the best way to improve your skills. Have fun!

Welcome to the addiction! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

You are right that Jasper's is a great place with very good people to help you. Their prices are very reasonable.

I am on the Seacoast of NH and it was a bit before we got a LHBS. Not sure what's available for brew clubs down your way, but definitely find one and " tap into" that resource.

I am also on the Seacoast. Not far from Dover. In fact I lived in Dover for several years.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I served up a bunch of my 2nd batch, an Irish red today. Well received. Several friends openly .. uh .. encouraging my newfound hobby.

IMG_0005.jpg

I am also on the Seacoast. Not far from Dover. In fact I lived in Dover for several years.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I served up a bunch of my 2nd batch, an Irish red today. Well received. Several friends openly .. uh .. encouraging my newfound hobby.

On the Seacoast we have Yeastern Homebrew Supply in Dover, http://www.yeasternhomebrewsupply.com/ with Gabe, and A&G http://www.aghomebrewsupply.com/ in Portsmouth with Alex and Gretchen. Both are incredibly helpful.

The Seacoast Homebrew Club has a Facebook presence and is also listed here at HBT. I am a lurker with them as I cannot make the meetings. :(

Interesting. I've sworn off facebook for a short while. Can you link to the "listed here at HBT" portion?

Bottled batch 3 today. Estimate a touch over 6% ABV. At the rate I'm drinking, I should brew the next batch right away. But I'm too lazy to do it today.

<swat> Hands off ma beah maaaaan!

'Twas a lovely holiday playing with my new brew toys, collecting bits, and drinking the results. My 4th batch is in the fermenter. I used my homebrewtalk inspired DIY immersion chiller. 25' of copper tube, a heavy duty washer hose cut in half, and some hose clamps. It works very well. Cooled my wort to ~80 in less than 5-10 minutes. I actually over chilled and had to let the mixed wort warm back up before pitching. Nice.

Excuse the mess. I discovered how easy it is to have a boilover!

Also scored a used chest freezer. I .. have .. a plan.

20131230_174650.jpg

20140101_151426.jpg

20140101_151941.jpg

Back