has anyone tried donating a how to brew day to a school auction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the idea of using our brewing hobby to help support local organizations doing good in our communities. I've donated beer for silent auctions, donated a brew day (as the OP suggests) for silent auctions, served my beer three times at a homebrew festival that supports a local arts education initiative (this is legal in Illinois, btw). I've also organized beer pairing events and am doing another in less than three weeks.

I wrote an article for Zymurgy, the magazine of the American Homebrewers Association, that was published in the November/December 2018 issue. Last May, I organized a beer, cheese and food pairing event that raised some funding for my congregation's Peace Camp and the article is focused on the event, beer and food pairings, and using the homebrewing hobby to do events to support projects or organizations you believe in.

If you're a member of the AHA, you can view the article (and the entire magazine) online. If you're not a member, I've created a PDF of the six page spread in the magazine and you can download it here.

I could not get your link to load so when I went home for lunch, I grabbed my November/December 2018 issue. Very nice article and well written! I liked how you basically laid out a template to follow. Your article will definitely help those that are considering a different type of fundraising than through an auction type event. With the average donation exceeding $50, you raised more than $2,750...not too shabby! Your template will make a difference beyond just the event you held....

On another note, I just checked out your blog. I was shocked with so many articles! Luckily, I enjoy reading and learning!

OK, so some people think there are potential legal issues here. I don't think so, not in my state, but OK.

What I was hoping for in this thread is some feedback about the best way to do something like this. Any suggestions?

I would make it as easy as possible that produces the best outcome. I'd do an all grain recipe but use a system/process that a beginner could relate to and see themselves doing. I think it's a great idea. I love when homebrewing can be used for fundraising. It's awesome.

Latest posts

Back