Handling glycol in cooling coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m constructing a window AC based glycol chiller, and had a few questions for the group regarding hardware and process for avoiding glycol spillage since this is new to me. I ferment in conicals and will be adding a blichmann cooling coil to each. What do yall use for quick connects to disconnect the chill coils for cleaning without glycol spillage? What’s your routine for evacuating the coils of glycol: gravity feed? Do you use valved quick connects at the in/out of the coils and just leave them full? Any glycol additives necessary? I’ll be using silicone tubing, and it looks like food grade PG USP is the way to go. Trying to determine best practices ahead of time so it’s slightly less of a charlie foxtrot. Sorry if this has been covered, I looked and didn’t see anything. Thanks for taking the time to read my blathering.

I use 90° quick disconnect for my glycol lines, food grade PG as well. I have my glycol lines going into my fermenter high enough above my chiller that when I disconnect one side of the line at the top of the chilling coil gravity does its thing and most of the glycol gets pulled back into the reservoir. Any little bit left gets dumped out, maybe an ounce or 2, not enough to worry about. If you wanted I suppose you could open your glycol reservoir and empty what's left in your chilling coil into that. I've had mine for a few years now and have not lost enough to need to add any liquid to my glycol reservoir. No additives, just the glycol/ water mixture.

Back