HandHeld FoodSaver w/ accessories $30

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Hand held FoodSaver for $30, PLUS 18 free bags.. (FREE BAGS ARE ADDED WHEN YOU ADD ITEM TO YOUR CART!!)

1 – FoodSaver® FreshSaver® appliance
1 – Charging Stand
2 – Deli Containers
5 – Quart Vacuum Zipper Bags
5 –Gallon Vacuum Zipper Bags
Plus Bonus 5 Additional Quart Vacuum Zipper Bags

http://www.foodsaver.com/freshsaver/index.aspx?id=c&cid=87&pid=6703&promo=U9FEAAA&utm_ campaign=U9FEAAA&utm_source=FS+SAVE_MAIN_IMAGE

I uderstand that. It's still battery powered. I was comparing to this.
ziplock001.jpg

as apposed to the other sealers like
53ed6125-c184-4ea1-833a-d99f632b17d2_400.jpg

The battery power would definitely be worth it if you use it a lot, and $30 is good price for a non-manual sealer.

Ahh, not familiar with the Zip Lock thing, thought that was battery powered too. Comes with a crap ton of accessories and bags too.

If it's the foodsaver I have ($5 at grocery store) you can use it to degas wine.

EDIT: I totally should have went to the link you posted, mine is different. Wish it was rechargeable like that one you posted though!

Handi-Vac.jpg

Hand held FoodSaver for $30, PLUS 18 free bags.. (FREE BAGS ARE ADDED WHEN YOU ADD ITEM TO YOUR CART!!)

1 – FoodSaver® FreshSaver® appliance
1 – Charging Stand
2 – Deli Containers
5 – Quart Vacuum Zipper Bags
5 –Gallon Vacuum Zipper Bags
Plus Bonus 5 Additional Quart Vacuum Zipper Bags

http://www.foodsaver.com/freshsaver/index.aspx?id=c&cid=87&pid=6703&promo=U9FEAAA&utm_ campaign=U9FEAAA&utm_source=FS+SAVE_MAIN_IMAGE

I have a similar one, (the Reynolds one posted here, post 6), and honestly they work like crap.

They pull great vacuum, but because it relies on that little valve to hold vacuum, (instead of a heatseal like the "big boy" foodsavers), you lose vacuum quickly.

Yes it's better than sucking air out of the bag manually, but they don't quite compare to the "Real" foodsavers, (with heatseals).

If it's the foodsaver I have ($5 at grocery store) you can use it to degas wine.

EDIT: I totally should have went to the link you posted, mine is different. Wish it was rechargeable like that one you posted though!

Handi-Vac.jpg

Looks like something you either stole from your wife or baby!

Handi-Vac.jpg

The Reynolds bags are hit or miss, defective a lot of the time. If you get a tiny bit of grain, hops, flour etc in the zip area then they will never seal well. Often the valve malfunctions. It would appear that they have stopped selling them from what I can see. Maybe FoodSaver has improved the design but the real FoodSaver seal is much better.

Handi-Vac.jpg

I have that piece of trash ziploc gidget. Looked as though it was going to work great. It sucked all the air out and compacted my hops really tight. Throw them in the freezer and the next day they were no longer air tight and had opened at the valve in the bag. I guess its not the machine but the bags that are crappy.

I have that piece of trash ziploc gidget. Looked as though it was going to work great. It sucked all the air out and compacted my hops really tight. Throw them in the freezer and the next day they were no longer air tight and had opened at the valve in the bag. I guess its not the machine but the bags that are crappy.

agreed those bags are worthless. I had one before I got my foodsaver and never got a bag to stay sealed for more than a day

I've not heard good things about that hand-held Foodsaver thingy. In fact, I've heard bad things. I have no hands-on experience with it, though.

TL

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Alvin-Vacuum-Sealer/

This is what I used to seal my 5 pounds of hops. You just need the foodsaver mason jar attachment and a brake bleeder. It works like a charm and you know the amount of vacuum you are pulling.

I was exploring options on vacuum sealers (for my hops of course), and this seals the deal. I've already got a brake bleeder pump & jars, so I'm 2/3 of the way there.

+1. I even wrote a glowing, but premature, review of it here somewhere.

The gadget part works fantastic, and the bags are (initially) evacuated well. What if I just put a piece of tape over the valve? What kind of tape would work well in the freezer?

I just did my first seals two days ago, and they were about 50/50. It's the dust problem, and tape over the valve didn't do anything. I think what I'll do is first put the pellets in a thin sandwich baggie, fold it up, and THEN try sealing them in the Foodsaver bag. That should take care of the dust...I hope.

I made an Alvin and the brake bleeder from Harbor broke almost immediately, out $20 bucks. So I broke down and bought a real Foodsaver and seal everything in quart sized mason jars now. I don't mess with the bags. I think this is a much better way to go.

I've not heard good things about that hand-held Foodsaver thingy. In fact, I've heard bad things. I have no hands-on experience with it, though.

TL

I picked up the same thing at WalMart for $20 except the charger is a wall wart instead. Some of the bags don't hold seal. Some do.

Handi-Vac.jpg

this model suxxx. I used it before getting a food saver. I would have to re vacuum them every so often

Latest posts

Back