Had my first Dark Lord - disappointed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I got my first Dark Lord (2016) in a trade earlier this year. Opened it last weekend at a bachelor party share. Straight soy sauce. I was pretty disappointed. Anyone else not impressed with this beer? I'd be curious to try one of the variants if I'm ever given the opportunity. But the OG was not my jam.

(Thankfully, the Black Tuesday and Huna made up for it :p)

I'm so glad that the days of the RIS ruling the scene are over.

I'm not a fan either. It's not bad, but it's super sweet for me. We even had the Portuguese brandy barrel aged variant and even that was very sweet. Though I did have a 2014 DL on tap and it was much better for some reason. I've got a few bottles that I'll probably end up trading for something more my style.

I'm not a fan either. It's not bad, but it's super sweet for me. We even had the Portuguese brandy barrel aged variant and even that was very sweet. Though I did have a 2014 DL on tap and it was much better for some reason. I've got a few bottles that I'll probably end up trading for something more my style.

There was a thread somewhere I think it may be in the recipe forum and DL was discussed as having this crazy high FG like in the 1.040-1.060 range, I'd imagine that would contribute to a lot of sweetness sure it'd have a ridiculously thick mouthfeel but also very sweet. A buddies brining over a bottle in two weeks, neither of us have ever had it so I'm looking forward to it.

I've had the 2016, 15, 14, etc. They get much much much better with age. Like, exponentially better. I wouldn't suggest opening a bottle unless it's been aged at least a year.

I've had the 2016, 15, 14, etc. They get much much much better with age. Like, exponentially better. I wouldn't suggest opening a bottle unless it's been aged at least a year.
I agree for the most part. And typically a beer this big I would let sit for a while. But I swear I don't see this beer getting much better with time. But, I'll likely never know.

I agree for the most part. And typically a beer this big I would let sit for a while. But I swear I don't see this beer getting much better with time. But, I'll likely never know.

Is this USC_thereal?? Peace out my gamecock brother!

I would definitely let it sit at least a year. It really is a lot better. It's still super sweet though. It was the worst beer I had at dark lord day this year haha. The variants are excellent. I have a bottle of the ronaldo (dark lord w/ cherries). Can't wait to crack it!

Ha! Sure is buddy. Save me some of that cream ale!

We may just have to brew a clone of the Darklord to improve the outcome! I did a clone of Kate the Great (RIS) and it was... meh. It has improved to pretty good over a year though.

We may just have to brew a clone of the Darklord to improve the outcome! I did a clone of Kate the Great (RIS) and it was... meh. It has improved to pretty good over a year though.
I'm down for that! I was just talking to a brewing buddy about how it's time to get to brewing a stout for the winter after I knock out this saison and a couple IPAs to try out a new yeast.

I had the 2016 two weeks ago along side a barrel aged version. It was exactly as I expected super syrupy and sweet. No soy sauce or anything bad. Just a bottle meant to be shared with others or dumped on ice cream. The barrel version was outstanding and I don't care for barrel aged beers.

I had the 2016 two weeks ago along side a barrel aged version. It was exactly as I expected super syrupy and sweet. No soy sauce or anything bad. Just a bottle meant to be shared with others or dumped on ice cream. The barrel version was outstanding and I don't care for barrel aged beers.

I've heard the BA variants are exponentially better.

I've heard the BA variants are exponentially better.

Just spitballing here but I'd imagine the flavors and booze from the barrel cut down the perceived sweetness quite a bit. I have a hb RIS that finished at 1.030 and then I added cold brewed coffee and rye bourbon and it thinned it out pretty good not to thin but def not as thick as I would've wanted it.

as a fellow ill in border person, i grab it and pick it up from people that go to it. Great. picked up 3 bottles each year until 2016, and only was able to get one...

That said, I don't like it, never had.

Heck, I don't even like dark beers, so why buy it. why spend 20 dollars a bottle.

because online it's gold. I can trade for any beer in the us. I can pick and choose a local breweries IPA and try it. if I want Pliny, no biggie, just offer it up, Have DL looking for Pliny the elder. someone will trade..

I tried both a 2014 and 2012 last year and didn't get soy sauce with either. To me the 2012 had more roast/coffee flavors, while the 2014 was raisins and dark fruit.

Latest posts

Back