Grilled Shrimp w/ head & shells? Can I do this right on a grill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, when I've been over to Asia, I've had a number of great shrimp that are deep-fried with the shell and head on -- and eaten with the shell and head still on.

While my Western upbringing tells me this is still "weird", my mouth and stomach tell me this is freaking delicious! The shell is nice and crispity/crunchity, and typically loaded with great flavor and seasoning. And all the wonderful juices in the head are heavenly!

I'm wondering how [or if] I can do this on my Kamado Joe grill? Has anyone tried it?

Here's what I'm thinking.

Toss them in a bag with olive oil, some sort of hot chili sauce, minced garlic, pepper, maybe some soy sauce, and cornstarch. Maybe leave them in 20 minutes or so to get great flavor penetration. Hit them with salt and lemon juice right before going on the grill (don't want to turn them into ceviche!)...

Cook them high-heat--say 400 dome temp--direct with the grate pretty close to the coals, so I'm applying as much heat to those shells as I can. Maybe 2-3 minutes, flip, then 2-3 minutes.

Pull, then serve.

Of course, at the same time I'll have to skewer up some shelled shrimp for the wife and kids, because I'm pretty sure my wife won't go near a shrimp head :roll:

What do you guys think? Can I get that nice crisp shell?

I've grilled shell on, but with less heat than you are planning. Just with oil and salt. With and without dipping sauces after the grill.
Some ideas here.
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/grilled-shrimp.aspx

Eaten with the shell/head still on?

I'm wondering if grilling can achieve the same texture with the shell and head that you get from the deep-fried stuff you'll find in Asia? There's just something about biting through that crispy shell when the shrimp is still piping-hot and juicy that I miss...

I realize it's an odd request to most people...

I've tried eating the shell a couple of times, but it didn't chew well. Shell remained pretty much whole. The shrimp I had in the freezer were without the head. Finding head on shrimp around here would be unusual. The Asian technique must make the shell rather fragile to be enjoyable to eat.
You've given me the idea I should at least try it once.

What is the possibility it is the type of shrimp which would make the shell more edible?

Like softshell crab. I think this is most likely the case. I've see the fried and even dried shrimp that are fully intact, just never had the urge to eat shell and carapace.

IMNSHO, you're going to need to deep-fry them to get the shells edible. Unless you are putting a pot of oil on there, the grill just isn't going to be able to get you there.

Yeah, when I've grilled shrimp, the shells don't get crispy. The meat cooks faster than the shells seem to need to get crisp. About the only time I've found head-on shrimp was on Cape Fear during a vacation. Fresh caught that morning too. I see them occasionally up here, but not often.

I've eaten plenty of shell on shrimp and whole fish. I was eating some fried rice while trying to entertain some clients. I noticed something crunchy but figured it was the fins of the dried salted fish they toss in there. Not looking down enough. At the end of the dish I looked a bit closer after one wouldn't go down well. Turns out to be not a fish fin but a clam shell with a similar visual texture compete with some morsel of meat on the inside. Who the hell throws whole inch wide clam shells into fried rice?

Anyway.....I think the trick for you is to have small shrimp. I've never had them very big. There is also tons of msg in the fried batter sometimes.

Latest posts

Back