green cut worms (I think) are destroying my hop plants/leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A50SNAKE

Reaction score
hello all, I have found that my nugget this year, will be non-existant...due to these things taking over my plant. there is not one single leaf left on it any more.

what is everyone using to control/kill them?

thanks for any help.

At this point, late in the season, you have lost this crop of hops. Be prepared to deal with the problem from the outset next year.

Till the soil a couple times this fall to expose larvae to birds and predator insects.

Next year: (1) Spreading a line of diatomaceous earth around the base of young plants sets up a barrier to larvae. Diatomaceous earth, the fossilized, abrasive remains of prehistoric sea life, literally lets you draw a line in the dirt that’s deadly to any larvae that pass over. (2) Scatter bran or corn meal mixed with Bacillus Thuringiensis and molasses on the soil surface to attract and kill caterpillars. Neither of the above are harmful to humans or other warm blooded animals.

At this point, late in the season, you have lost this crop of hops. Be prepared to deal with the problem from the outset next year.

Till the soil a couple times this fall to expose larvae to birds and predator insects.

Next year: (1) Spreading a line of diatomaceous earth around the base of young plants sets up a barrier to larvae. Diatomaceous earth, the fossilized, abrasive remains of prehistoric sea life, literally lets you draw a line in the dirt that’s deadly to any larvae that pass over. (2) Scatter bran or corn meal mixed with Bacillus Thuringiensis and molasses on the soil surface to attract and kill caterpillars. Neither of the above are harmful to humans or other warm blooded animals.

ya, i figured it was well beyond too late for this year...but i've never had any issues in previous years...so I was wondering what might have changed, that drew them here this year.

thanks soo much for your help and tips...I will be sure to do those things this fall and next year.

I was reading online and I saw some saying, mix dish soap in your watering can and water the plants with that...and I read some others that said to mix empsom salts in your watering can and water with that as well...is that helpful? will it do anything?

Back